Position Community Resource Specialist
Classification: H.S. 01-05*($13.54-$14.47-$15.49-$16.56-$18.37*)
Supervisor Manager of Self-Sufficiency Programs
Essential Function of Job
Work alongside program participants to develop client-based self-sufficiency plans and case management goals with a focus on alleviating the local causes of poverty. Client-based self-sufficiency plans will focus on financial literacy, employment resources/opportunities, vendor advocacy, basic need resources and reducing present barriers. Assist low-income households with applying for services/resources within the MI Bridges System. Community Resource Specialist will process emergency payment requests for basic needs as they relate to self-sufficiency of households. Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in all interactions with clients, members of the public and other co-workers.
Examples of Work
(Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all tasks which may be found in the positions of this class.)
- Assess client for eligibility for programs that provide emergency basic needs assistance for items including rent, rental arrearages, utility assistance, motel stays, and others.
- Ability to screen families/individuals for all income-eligible programs offered through EightCAP, Inc.
- Provide individualized budgeting/financial education to assist in contributing to energy expenses in a timely manner.
- Enroll eligible households into an energy waste reduction/conservation service plan.
- Identify and understand the strengths, abilities and competencies of households to help them achieve economic self-sufficiency.
- Assist eligible households in applying for utility provider’s Affordable Payment Plans and oversee payment process/award.
- Meet with household in their home or public location as to reduce any potential barriers such as lack of gas, transportation, or financial hardships.
- Make program eligibility determinations for clients based on program guidelines
- Keep aware of available services of County Service agencies for referral purposes.
- Record keeping via electronic databases and hard copy for a variety of programs.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Requirements of Work
- Ability to obtain/maintain DHHS MIBridge’s Navigator status.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and maintain accurate records and ability to work independently.
- Ability to relate positively with low income households and possess sensitivity regarding cultural and socio-economic characteristics.
- Ability to learn/maintain data management systems, such as DBA FacsPro, Sales Force and/or HMIS.
- Ability and flexibility to work in other county offices and some nights and/or weekends.
- A valid Michigan driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record and reliable transportation.
- Successful clearance of DHS Central Registry and Criminal History Record Check.
Required Minimum Training and Experience
- Minimum of Associate Degree in related field or two years of experience in social work, human services or comprehensive family support.
- Demonstrated understanding and ability to use computer programs including word processing, e-mail, database software, internet explorer and others.
- Previous work experience maintaining records.
- Experience working with diverse individuals and families and/or as a volunteer.
*In order to be eligible for the HS05 level, you must have a bachelor’s degree or higher in a field related to this position.