12 Hour Night Shift: 7:00 pm to 7:00 am
West Michigan Compounding (WMC) is a custom compounder and recycler of Thermoplastic resins. We provide our customers with innovative ways to reduce their overall plastic raw material costs. We uphold the highest quality standards that help us maintain the best service possible for customers.
- Sets up, operates, and tends machines that extrude and form continuous filaments from synthetic materials, such as liquid polymer, rayon, and fiberglass. Transfers material to and from the department.
- Adheres to WMC’s quality management system.
- Follows the WMC production process sheet for order of production.
- Loads materials into extruder, and adjust feed mechanisms to set feed rates. Keeps machines full of material at all times.
- Lifts 55lb bags of material to fill hoppers.
- Tears down and disposes of empty or damaged boxes.
- Starts metering pumps and observing the operation of machines and equipment to ensure continuous flow of filaments extruded through die and to detect processing defects.
- Moves controls to activate and adjust extruder.
- Presses buttons to stop machines when processes are complete or when malfunctions are detected.
- Observes machine operations, control boards, and gauges to detect malfunctions such as clogged pelletizer and pipes.
- Records details of machine malfunctions.
- Notifies other workers of defects and directs them to adjust extruder.
- Removes excess, entangled, or completed filaments from machines, using hand tools. Removes polymer deposits from equipment, using silicone spray, brass chisels, and bronze-wool pads.
- Observes flow of finish across finish rollers, and turn valves to adjust flow to specifications.
- Performs quality check on all skids to be used for finished product. Assembles new boxes on top of skids and places at the end of the production line.
- Operates forklift to move pallets throughout the production floor.
- Verifies box weight and adds additional material or removes material to receive accurate weight.
- Performs test of Ash, Gardner, Moisture, Durometer, Specific Gravity, Melt Flow and Notched Izod when necessary and records results as needed.
- Operates injection mold machine to shoot test specimens.
- Completes hourly read sheets and records test results.
- Cleans and maintains extruder.
- Maintains clean work area. Puts away product when complete. Sweeps excess product off work floor.
- Safety Requirements: Understand and follow all WMC Health & Safety Practices. Report all injuries and unsafe work conditions. Attend mandatory safety training and request additional training as needed.
This is a full-time position with a rotating schedule. Week 1 is a 32-hour workweek of Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Week 2 is a 48-hour workweek of Monday, Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday.