Description About this Opportunity
As the Director of New Business Incubation, you'll lead the incubation process for new innovative strategic business opportunities. You will be responsible for business strategy, financial target setting, and key milestone development. You'll identify and deploy resources to test business models that will drive successful outcomes resulting in commercially viable businesses. You will also assess business viability in the context of the broad business strategy and recommend the go forward plan (stop, invest/test, move to launch).
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
- Evaluate the market opportunity and develop the business strategy for opportunities coming out of the new business innovation funnel.
- Identify and deploy resources to achieve business growth and performance targets.
- Build and lead a cross-functional team (direct and indirect reports), and mentor and develop team members to promote employee engagement and deliver the highest level of performance.
- Define and own the stage gate process to move the opportunity through the pipeline decision tree.
- Lead the tracking and analysis of business case assumptions and concept testing to drive action.
- Create an entrepreneurial culture that is agile and quick to adjust to new data but has clear enough criteria that it highlights when it's time to move forward.
- Create organizational followership for new business models and coordinate across functional, global, and regional leaders to align effective business strategies and gain commitment for performance goals.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to socialize innovative business models and ensure alignment with core corporate strategies.
- Identify partnership opportunities, strategic alliances, and relationships that can advance the commercial viability.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have...
- A Bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing, or a related field of study. A Master's degree is preferred.
- 10 years of work experience in a related field.
- Five years of management experience.
- Broad business acumen and financial literacy with an understanding of operational models (manufacturing, supply chain, fulfillment).
- The ability to use a broad business acumen and holistic perspective to see the opportunities and risks of potential trade-offs.
- Excellent negotiation, communication, and leadership skills.
- Outstanding written/verbal communication skills and the ability to present complex concepts in a concise and understandable way to a variety of audiences, including the highest level of the organization.
- An expert ability to think strategically and execute tactically.
- Entrepreneurial behavior, corporate finesse, a sense of urgency, and the drive to win.
- A high standard of performance and a results-oriented workstyle.
- Successful experience with change management principles and the ability to drive and manage the change process from strategic planning through implementation and follow-through.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop sound, long-term customer relationships and influence customers.
- Strong relationship and consensus-building skills to manage projects in a complex matrixed environment.
- The ability to lead, influence, and work with all levels in the organization.
- Excellent coaching, mentoring, and people development skills.
- Demonstrated leadership competence as defined by Executive Competencies, including the ability to effectively focus resources to implement a business strategy, generate excitement and commitment around the vision and goals and drive innovation and change.
- The ability to easily make connections among previously unrelated notions.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Work Schedule: 8am-5pm
Primary Location: United States-Michigan-Holland
Other Locations: United States