Registered Nurses at Mary Free Bed are a key member of the multi-disciplinary team that collaborates together to provide patient-centered care. Within the Nursing Department, RNs coordinate, direct, delegate, and provide care to multiple patients. Using a patient and family-centered care approach, each RN develops relationships with patients, families, and colleagues that enhance the quality of care provided. Nursing care is performed with compassion and courtesy, and each RN is responsible to follow departmental policies and service standards. Patient and family education is a primary focus of rehabilitation nursing, and is a critical aspect of the interdisciplinary team’s efforts to assist patients to gain independence, apply adaptation strategies, and return to home.Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.
- Licensure: Registered nurse in the state of Michigan.
- Education: Associates degree in nursing is required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Certification as a Registered Rehabilitation Nurse is preferred and will be encouraged for all MFB RNs.
- CRRN Requirement: All newly hired staff will be required to become CRRN certified prior to their 3 year anniversary with Mary Free Bed. This requirement will apply to all RNs that work on the 3rd or 4th floor.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
- Previous experience as a RN, especially in a rehabilitation or acute care setting, is preferred but not required.
- Strong critical thinking, decision-making, delegation, and leadership skills are required to work as a RN in the Nursing Department at MFB.
- Time management and organizational skills are very important, as well as effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work effectively under time requirements and deadlines, problem-solve when facing unexpected issues, handle interruptions, and prioritize effectively.
- Physical Demands/Work Environment: The work environment described here are representative of those an employee will encounter while working as a RN at Mary Free Bed. The ability to perform these tasks are required in order to provide the necessary patient care required by MFB patients:
- Required to stand, sit, talk, type, read, and hear
- Required to use hands and arms to handle, feel, carry and work
- Required to frequently stand, walk, bend, kneel, and rise from a kneeling position while performing patient care.
- Required to be independently mobile, with frequent bending, and reaching overhead, for activities such as positioning and transferring of patients and equipment.
- Must be able to exert 20 to 35 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects(*).
- Due to possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens and hazardous materials, must be able to understand and follow department policies related to employee safety.
- Must be competent with computer systems for the purpose of documenting patient care.