Networks Northwest and the Northwest Michigan Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is seeking a creative and passionate business minded individual to fill the position of Small Business Consultant. Competitive candidates will possess the skills, abilities and experience necessary to provide small business counseling services to Stage 1 and early Stage 2 business customers.
The Northwest Michigan SBDC is a recognized leader in providing counseling, training, and market research to assist small businesses to launch, transition, innovate and grow in Northwestern Lower Michigan.
Networks Northwest is a regional economic development agency that connects businesses, people, and communities. Our mission is to build stronger communities and enhance the quality of life in Northwest Michigan. Networks Northwest is proud of its long-standing history as the host agency for the Northwest Michigan SBDC. To learn more visit: www.networksnorthwest.org .
This position will incorporate all aspects of small business consulting work. While the ability to work autonomously and manage an individual portfolio of customers is required, there is a team atmosphere within the Northwest Michigan SBDC and consultants will have both support and assistance from a dynamic group of business professionals. This position offers a unique opportunity to work closely with the businesses and community partners that directly affect the quality of life in Northwest Lower Michigan.
- Provide day-to-day small business counseling services to existing business owners, analyzing business problems, developing solutions, and providing access to resources
- Provide basic business start-up information and training programs to start-up clients
- Provide critical information and support to existing business owners looking to grow
- Maintain high standard of database oversight and portfolio management
- Assist in marketing activities including digital communications as required
- Lead training activities either in-person or virtually
- Assist in developing and maintaining positive, productive relationships with collaborative organizations and individuals
- Routinely function as the first point of contact with clients, evaluating their next steps for counsel or training, or referring to other team members
- This person will be responsible for serving Antrim, Charlevoix, Emmet, as well as assisting with Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, and Leelanau counties
- Position requires frequent daily travel
- Bachelor's degree; business major preferred
- Strong people skills and a desire to interface with the public required
- 2-3 years of small business ownership, general management, business consultation or direct supervisory experience in a business organization or any equivalent combination of knowledge, skill, and experience
- Considerable knowledge and skill in written and oral communication, including presentations to groups of people
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability using computer-based interfaces, such as MS Office Suite, Skype, GoToMeeting, Trello, Slack, Constant Contact, social media platforms, and CRM database experience desired
- Possession of a valid driver's license and insurable to drive agency vehicles
Salary Range: $41,000-$43,000 annually
This full-time position is eligible for the following benefits; paid vacation and sick time, paid holidays, deferred compensation 401K retirement contribution, company paid medical, dental, vision and life insurance, yearly health savings account contribution, and access to agency vehicles for business related travel.