MPHI is a Michigan-based and nationally engaged, non-profit public health institute. We are a team of teams, process and content experts, dedicated to building A world where tomorrow is healthier than today!
Title: Data Analyst - Influenza/COVID
$20.19 - $23.08 / Posed thru: 9-13-20
Employee Name: TBD
Supervisor: Justin Henderson
Purpose: Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) epidemiologists conduct year-round statewide surveillance of respiratory illness due to influenza and non-influenza respiratory pathogens, including COVID-19. MDHHS participates in the national Influenza Hospitalization Surveillance Program (IHSP), which coordinates the collection of data from hospitalized influenza and COVID-19 patients in a specified catchment area. The successful candidate will work with the IHSP team in the MDHHS Enteric & Respiratory Diseases Epidemiology (ERIE) Unit, Surveillance of Infectious Disease Epidemiology (SIDE) Section of the Division of Communicable Disease.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform data entry, data management, data analysis, and case follow-up for influenza, COVID-19 and other respiratory viral illnesses.
- Conduct medical chart reviews, data extraction, and update case reports in database.
- Assist with expansion efforts of the IHSP program.
- Liaise with hospitals participating in the IHSP to carry out the grant deliverables.
- Participate in quality assurance efforts.
- Assist with disease outbreak investigations as needed.
- Assist with grant-related projects.
- Participate in state-level preparedness activities to respond to any public health emergency.
- Aid and support as needed for activities and projects within the Surveillance and Infectious Disease Epidemiology Section and Communicable Disease Division.
- Report/update on a regular basis to Supervisor.
- Maintain a positive, credible, professional relationship with all parties relevant to MPHI and MDHHS projects and represent the best interest of MPHI and MDHHS at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Requirements:
Education: Bachelor's degree in Science, Public Health and/or Statistics Preferred candidate will possess a Master's degree with a major in epidemiology or in public health with a minimum of 12 combined graduate level term hours or 8 semester hours in epidemiology and biostatistics.
Experience: One year working in public health or infectious disease is highly preferred.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Knowledge of infectiousdiseaseepidemiology.
- Proficient in MicrosoftOfficeapplications,such as Access,Excel, Word, PowerPoint, andfamiliar withemail/internetbrowser software.
- Works well in teamsituations, is self-motivated,meetsdeadlines,andhandles multiple taskswithminimal supervision.
- Must possessexcellentoralandwrittencommunication skills and be able to presentscientificandtechnicalinformation to audiences.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements: Standard office environment. Valid motor vehicle operator's license may be required to perform duties of the position. Occasional site visits will be required. Remote work (home office) may be required due to social distancing policies.
Contact Person/Group Frequency Purpose
Unit Manager Daily Position oversight
Section Manager Daily Position oversight
IHSP Epidemiologists Daily Coordination of work
ID Epidemiologists As needed Guidance
RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS: No assigned responsibility.
"For purposes of employment standards, this classification is "Non-Exempt" from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act."
MPHI works with you to promote health for everyone. Together, we will build a world where tomorrow is healthier than today!
MPHI is an EEO/AA employer that participates with e-verify.