MPHI is a Michigan-based and nationally engaged, non-profit public health institute. We are a team of teams, process and content experts, dedicated to building A world where tomorrow is healthier than today!
TITLE: Epidemiologist - Infectious Diseases - HBTV Section
$55,000 - $84,000 / Posted thru: 10-2-20
SUPERVISOR: Seth Eckel
PURPOSE: Employees in this job complete professional, epidemiological, and investigative work by assisting in the design, analysis, and execution of epidemiological investigations for communicable disease surveillance or special studies. The purpose of this position is to assist with the surveillance, reporting, and statistics as part of the MDHHS's response to the COVID-19 pandemic and other conditions of public health interest. This includes maintaining quality control and data cleaning, manipulation of large datasets, developing statistical reports, and providing data to inform local, State, and federal stakeholders. This candidate will be tasked with evaluating local health department specific case investigation and contact tracing performance metrics and identifying surge capacity and technical assistance needs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs epidemiological and statistical analyses on data and prepares results for review.
- Assists with COVID-19 mortality surveillance and recovered infections statistics.
- Collects disease or condition surveillance information and analyzes surveillance data.
- Evaluates key performance metrics and indicators to assess COVID-19 case investigation and contact tracing efforts.
- Develops statistical summary reports, data dashboards and other data visualizations.
- Disseminates results of investigations, special studies, routine surveillance, and analyses of health outcome data.
- Responsible for managing and matching large datasets.
- Conducts quality control and data cleaning on surveillance data.
- Provides technical assistance to MDHHS and LHD staff to facilitate understanding and use of surveillance data to drive public health action.
- Proposes or initiates epidemiological investigations of communicable disease outbreaks, chronic illness conditions, disease risk factors, or other adverse health outcomes.
- Participates in disease outbreak investigations, including collecting data from local agencies and interviewing cases and controls.
- Assists MDHHS in responding to public health emergencies.
- Maintains proficiency with Section, CDC and HIPAA confidentiality and security guidelines.
- Maintains a positive, strong, credible, professional and interpersonal relationship with all parties relevant to MPHI/MDHHS projects and represents the best interest of MPHI/MDHHS at all times.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
Education: Possession of a master's degree with a major in epidemiology or public health with a minimum of 8 semester (12 term) graduate-level hours in epidemiology and biostatistics courses.
Experience: Three years of professional experience carrying out a variety of surveys, investigations, tests, and analyses of human disease and chronic health conditions. The candidate should have strong computer processing (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and statistical methodology and software skills (e.g. SAS, R).
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Considerable knowledge of the basic principles and methods of epidemiology, the methods used to conduct epidemiological investigations, methods used to organize and analyze large sets of health data.
- Demonstrate the ability to prepare technical reports, records, and papers related to the work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to analyze surveillance data and other information for the purposes of determining the need for epidemiological investigations.
- Ability to organize results of studies into written form for publication, presentation, or dissemination.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements: Job may require moderate physical effort including lifting materials and equipment of <25# and involves viewing a CRT or VDT screen 50% to 75% o f the time. Standard office environment. Requires valid vehicle operator's license where needed to perform duties of the position. Frequent deadlines. In-state and out-of-state travel for related meetings.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS: None
IMPACT ON PROJECTS, SERVICES AND OPERATIONS: As part of a team, will help ensure data quality and assist stakeholders with technical assistance. This position will also support data requests, data matching, special projects and annual reports for other conditions of public health interest.
Contact Person/Group Frequency Purpose
1. VH Unit Manager Daily Supervisory, General Guidance
2. HBTV Section Manager As needed General Oversight
3. VH Epidemiologists Weekly Surveillance Activities
4. Local Health Departments Daily Technical assistance
5. Other COVID-19 Response Staff Daily Collaboration
"For purposes of employment standards, this classification is "Exempt" from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act."
MPHI works with you to promote health for everyone. Together, we will build a world where tomorrow is healthier than today!
MPHI is an EEO/AA employer that participates with e-verify.