GENERAL STATEMENT: This job is for an experienced Machine Designer who is proficient in designing automated equipment, primarily using Solidworks, taking the project from start to completion. Designer will provide customers with quality designs that are manufacturable.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organization: Can sketch rough machine concepts on paper, run group meetings, collaborate in team environment, contribute ideas, coordinate with builders, controls engineers and salespeople.
- Meet budgetary objectives and adjust project constraints based on financial analysis by management team
- Is proficient in performing Part surface modeling, in context part & assembly modeling, analyzing motion for functionality and interference, and create detailed assembly drawings
- Assist in troubleshooting during manufacturing and build of equipment
- Work on other non-machine design projects such as:
- Sheet metal / injection molded plastic enclosure design
- Inspection gages and fixtures
- Heavy agricultural, construction, and mining equipment
- Automotive components (power train, trim, lighting, etc)
- Aircraft components (2D to 3D print conversions and engineering changes)
- Hydraulic cylinder design
- Foundry casting design (aerospace, automotive, infrastructure)
- Clean sheet R&D projects that require coming up with totally new products for both the consumer and industrial markets
- Including working with electrical engineers to design electromechanical products
- 3D Laser Scanning and Reverse Engineering using a Faro Arm and Geomagic Design X
- Running industrial 3D Printers and post processing parts
- Doing design for additive manufacturing consulting / engineering projects
SAFETY & ERGONOMICS:
- Using PPE when working in the shop or lab
- Using proper lifting techniques when lifting is required
- Must have reliable vehicle to travel locally to customers for design kick-off meetings, design reviews, run-off meetings, etc.
- Document specific equipment requirements in accordance with QMS process.
- Communicating AQP requirements externally to builders and verifying quality upon completion of build.
- Purchasing components through approved vendors and inspecting components for any quality issues before installation.
- Must be able to sit for a long period of time
- Occasional lifting will be needed for any purchased parts, components, and possible assembly.
- 2-year mechanical design-based degree or 5-8 years of Machine Design experience
- Certified CSWP will be required within 12 months of hire
- Experience with metals, plastics, wood, CAD, metals, plastics, technical math & writing
- Must have experience with SolidWorks: 2 Years minimum: Assemblies, Configuration, 3D Part Nesting/surface molding
- Added experience in Inventor, CATIA, UG NX, Solid Edge, etc. Beneficial but not required
- Ability and willingness to learn on the job and on your own from online tutorials, community forums, Google, and further formal education etc.
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently while still being very detail oriented
- Understanding of mechanical concepts, Dimensional Tolerance, Geometric Tolerance, and Fit
- Knowledge of drawing specifications for defining weldments, machine parts, and Sheet metal parts and assemblies
- Knowledge of different machine tool capabilities, and how to design for manufacture with them: Manual mill / lathe, 3 axis CNC milling, Surface grinding, 4&5 axis CNC milling, mill turn, and large weldment machining a bonus but not required.
- Knowledge of different metal fabrication methods, and how to design for manufacture with them: Weldment fabrication (Sawing, Welding), Sheet metal guarding / paneling fabrication (2D cutting, brake press)
- Basic Excel skills for setting up and populating BOM
- Understanding that every customer has a standard design or technique for completing a task and no two customers are the same.