• A high school diploma or equivalent (GED).
• The ability to read and write in English, utilize basic math skills and basic computer word processing and the ability to comprehend written instructions and record information.
• The capacity to work in a team with intermittent supervision.
• The ability to work respectfully and courteously with a wide variety of individuals, including the public, agency employees and passengers.
• This employee will be required to successfully complete all required initial and update trainings.
• This position requires driving. Individuals must have a valid Michigan driver’s license with three (3) or more years of driving experience, less than six (6) points, and no exclusionary violations on driving record.
• Possess a Commercial Driver’s License with P and S endorsements, have a good driving record and be able to be insured by the agency auto and liability insurance carrier.
• Two years previous experience as a heavy-duty diesel and gas truck mechanic. Experience in performing a wide variety of repair tasks, including diagnosing mechanical problems, and proficiency in gas and arc welding.
• Be able to be certified within 1 year of employment with Heavy Duty Truck Mechanic certifications by the State of Michigan in gas and diesel engines, drive train, suspension, brakes and electrical systems.
• Must pass all required background checks, physicals and drug screens. If the background check reveals disqualifying information, employment shall be terminated unless the disqualifying information was successfully appealed as inaccurate, expunged or set aside.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but may serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
This position is planned to start Part Time but be moved to Full Time once we are able to move back to full services