Under the direction of the Wound Clinic Program Director, the Hyberbaric Technologist is accountable for providing high quality patient care through administering hyperbaric oxygen therapy to patients as prescribed by the hyperbaric physician. The Hyberbaric Technologist is responsible for the safe and effective operation of the hyperbaric chamber and other hyperbaric support systems in accordance with current and specialty specific standards of care, internal policies and procedures and applicable laws and regulations. The Hyperbaric Technologist is responsible for the safe delivery of hyperbaric oxygen therapy to the hyperbaric patients to ensure the best patient care experience for every patient and their significant others.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Maintains and demonstrates competency in BLS (Basic Life Support), infections control, safety and all unit required skill review.
- Hyperbaric technologist certification preferred, with verification of attendance to an introductory Hyperbaric Training Course as approved by the National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technology (NBDHMT) post hire.
- Certified or licensed in one of the following professions strongly preferred: Respiratory Therapist, Corpsman (Military), EMT-Basic, Paramedic or LPN.
- Must maintain competencies, continuing education and certifications as appropriate.
- Ability to tolerate pressurization and depressurization in a hyperbaric chamber.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written are required. Detail oriented and well organized. Must maintain high degree of confidentiality and tact.
- Must be able to make effective decisions and judgments; work independently; take initiative with little direction; and be flexible and able to adjust to changing priorities.
- Able to hear patients and staff and listen to equipment for malfunctions.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- In coordination with the physician’s order, safely operates and monitors the hyperbaric chamber and other hyperbaric support systems to administer hyperbaric oxygen therapy to assigned patients.
- Assists with the patient preparation process for all treatments, including lifting, transferring and positioning of patients as required.
- Reinforces patient education as it relates to hyperbaric therapy.
- Accountable for performing routine and systematic system and equipment maintenance checks and elevates maintenance issues as required.
- Assist in preparing for program inspections and maintaining program requirements to support hyperbaric facility accreditation activities.
- Utilizes wound management data software to makes appropriate entries for daily hyperbaric treatments and wound care clinic visits including photo uploading.
- Participates in safety programs, quality assurance, standards development, research activities and follows established safety standards to ensure a clean and safe environment for all patients and their families. Demonstrate knowledge of and respect for patient and significant others’ rights, including confidentiality.
- Document concise, accurate and timely information in the patient care record in accordance with established policies, procedures and applicable laws and regulations that govern them.
- Performs other duties as assigned. These may including but are not limited to: Maintaining a current knowledge base of use standards of care in professional practice, pursuing self-directed learning and continuing education opportunities, maintaining competencies and certifications, participating on committees, task forces, and work groups as determined by management.