SpartanNash is a value-added wholesale grocery distributor â€” supplying more than 2,100 independent grocery retail locations throughout the United States â€” as well as a grocery retailer, with more than 155 corporate supermarkets in nine states. We also serve the military community through our MDV division; in addition to offering premier fresh produce distribution through Caito Foods and third-party logistics through BRT.
At SpartanNash, relationships matter, and our Corporate team takes that sentiment to heart in the way we work as one totally aligned team, support and respect each other and share the highest standards of excellence. Weâ€™re always looking for the next great idea or a new way to approach a challenge, and we collaborate and innovate to achieve our goals.
A day in the life of an Accountant II is never the same, but in this role, you can expect to be responsible to perform a variety of moderate to complex general accounting responsibilities, including journal entries and account reconciliations, in accordance with GAAP, to provide accurate and useful information for management review. Participates in the decision making process through analysis and recommendations to management based on findings.
What You'll Do:
- Responsible for accounts payable or general ledger maintenance to include (as applicable): maintenance of accounts payable, journal entries and accruals, account analysis and reconciliation, requesting set up of new accounts and assisting with accounting close process in a timely and accurate manner, and maintaining related records. Research and resolve any issues that arise.
- Prepare financial statements to include the monthly balance sheet and income statement; provide analysis and explanations of accounts, and report on changes in financial position/budget variances. Assist with audits and provide additional support to the finance function (i.e., board and/or period reporting) as requested.
- Review and analyze assigned accounts, research and explain variances and run ad hoc reports as requested; make recommendation to management based on findings. May assist in the preparation of budgets used in measuring, planning, and controlling business operations and provide for management review.
- Consult and/or educate associates and management on financial statements and reports; provide analysis and research to assist with identifying and resolving business issues.
- May review work of accounting clerks or entry level accountants engaged in general accounting activities.
- Provide timely customer service and respond to inquires and questions from internal (various functional groups) and external contacts (i.e., auditors, vendors, etc.).
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and levels of work being performed as assigned for this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and requirements; additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Sound like you? Here's what you'll need:
- Bachelor's Degree (Required) Accounting/Finance, or other related field. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience will be considered.
- Two years Accountant experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills Abilities
Strong written and verbal communication skills. Strong organization and analytical skills; attention to detail and ability to multi-task and prioritize. Working knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Strong skills in MS Office (Access, Excel, Word).
Equal Opportunity Employer â€“ minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.