The primary focus of the Med Tech is to accurately and timely administer medications and treatments to the residents within the Catered Living Department. Additionally, they will provide support to the residents including; hands-on assistance with daily care personal needs, grooming, hygiene, housekeeping, laundering, social interactions, and meals. The Med Tech must possess a sincere passion for working with seniors.
- Passing medications and giving treatments per physician's orders and in accordance with Porter Hills' policies and guidelines.
- Obtaining and recording resident's vital signs, weight, food and fluid intake and output as necessary.
- Observing and reporting any changes in the resident's condition
- Maintaining accurate documentation in resident's charts and in the Electronic Medication Administration Record (eMAR).
- Assisting residents in preparing for activities and social programs and transporting as needed.
- Encouraging each resident's autonomy and dignity by communicating in a respectful and sensitive manner according to their needs.
- Interacting with residents in friendly manner while structuring their day and monitoring their needs.
Skills and Knowledge
Must be a self-starter and possess the ability to work effectively, independently
Resiliency to deal with challenges and periods of stress
The ability to manage and prioritize multiple and shifting priorities throughout the day
Proficiency meeting the physical and emotional needs of the resident
Ability to physically care for frail older adults
Interest in building meaningful relationships with residents, families and teammates in a collaborative environment.
Ability to communicate professionally, and in a sensitive way
Enthusiasm, energy and positive spirit to serve others
Desire to learn new techniques and skills
- High School diploma or GED
- Minimum of one year experience working with medications and the elderly population
- Two years of experience working with the elderly
- Previous Medication Aide/Technician Certification
- Completion of courses in geriatrics