SpartanNash is a value-added wholesale grocery distributor â€” supplying more than 2,100 independent grocery retail locations throughout the United States â€” as well as a grocery retailer, with more than 155 corporate supermarkets in nine states. We also serve the military community through our MDV division; in addition to offering premier fresh produce distribution through Caito Foods and third-party logistics through BRT.
At SpartanNash, relationships matter, and our Corporate team takes that sentiment to heart in the way we work as one totally aligned team, support and respect each other and share the highest standards of excellence. Weâ€™re always looking for the next great idea or a new way to approach a challenge, and we collaborate and innovate to achieve our goals.
A day in the life of an Accounting Supervisor is never the same but, in this role, you can expect to be responsible to supervise the day-to-day activities and staff in the assigned accounting area to include, but not limited to, accruals, journal entries and adjustments, general ledger coding maintenance and reconciliations; assists with monthly and quarterly close process.
What You'll Do:
- Responsible to supervise the day-to-day activities and staff of the assigned area to include, but not limited to, review and/or post accruals, review journal entries and adjustments, and ensure proper general ledger coding maintenance and accurate and timely reconciliations. Provide training and support to team to ensure quality performance in processing along with proper customer response and satisfaction. Analyze accounting processes and issues; make recommendations for improvements in processes and transactional workflow as appropriate.
- Conduct final review of accounting transactions to ensure that all entries are in compliance with company established policies and procedures. Act as a resource to staff in troubleshooting complex issues; notifies and/or escalates issue to management as appropriate.
- Reconcile or review reconciliations of general ledger accounts. Prepare reports and analysis on accounts for period close meetings and provide a summary of issues that may impact the close process.
- Educate associates and management on company established policies and procedures and assist staff with answering and resolving accounting questions or problems for both internal and external customers.
- Act as a liaison between the company and auditors to ensure that year-end and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) activities are completed and prepare audit schedules as needed. Assist with ensuring internal controls exist and are adhered to in order to maintain financial security; evaluate processes to ensure such are efficient and compliant with SOX controls.
- Maintain current knowledge of legal regulations, industry trends and best Accounting practices; make recommendations to improve current programs and processes and to ensure company compliance.
- Responsible for department management including staffing, training, performance management and career development of associates, and developing and monitoring department goals.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and levels of work being performed as assigned for this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and requirements; additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Sound like you? Here's what you'll need:
- Bachelor's Degree (Required) Accounting or other related field. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience will be considered.
- Five (5) Years general accounting experience with prior experience in a supervisor or leadership role.
Knowledge, Skills Abilities
Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments. Ability to provide work direction and training to direct reports. Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Word and Excel). Proficient 10-key and typing skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer â€“ minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.