Analyzes specifications, lays out metal stock, sets-up and operates machine tools and fits and assembles parts to fabricate and repair metalworking dies, cutting tools, jigs and fixtures, gauges and machinists hand tools. All the while, applying knowledge of tool and die design and construction, shop mathematics, metal properties and layout, machining, and assembly procedures.
- Must possess the knowledge and ability to study blueprints to determine machining to be done. Must plan, lay-out and perform machining operations and bench work to construct, alter and repair tools, dies, jigs, molds, fixtures, mechanisms, etc.
- Measures, marks and scribes metal stock to layout for machining by other workers.
- Performs difficult machining operations requiring complicated set-ups and occasionally improvising of tooling and set-ups to perform unusual operations.
- Sets-up new or modify dies and tools in production machines for trial runs.
- Responsible for quality workmanship and dimensional accuracy of assigned projects. Maintaining a clean and orderly work place.
- Operating all tool room equipment, including CNC equipment.
- Assembles parts into product and verifies dimensions and alignments.
- Sets-up and operates surface grinder to grind surface of parts.
- Tests assembled mechanism.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED); and a bona fide apprenticeship plus four years experience or eight years of practical experience.