*This position will support multiple programs within Michigan Works! locations in the Metro area and the City of Detroit. Home base will be in Southgate, Michigan but will require frequent local travel to other offices.*
The Program Assistant is responsible for a variety of duties to support the DESC team in meeting and exceeding all goals, ensuring the leadership team have support and tools needed and works in any area that that is viewed a priority including any/all DESC centers. Duties include support for the recruitment/hiring of open positions, training staff, attending meetings and providing written notes, visiting centers, developing, generating and maintaining needed reports. Helps to create best practices, strengthens team and helps to develop solutions for areas of weakness. This includes accurate data entry in both internal and external databases, sorting and retrieving hard-copy data, reproducing documents, and maintaining files in accordance with applicable Federal, State, agency, and unit regulations. The Program Assistant reports directly to the Program Director but may be assigned to assist other leadership/management staff in the DESC Programs. Must be able to communicate effectively with all involved partners, community leaders, employers, customers and staff.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Enters data accurately and timely into the internal and external databases as needed. May include entering mediated service activity, Talent Connect registration and employer registration/job postings.
• Assists with scheduling interviews, customers appointments, meetings, activities, and events.
• Reproduces documents, flyers, marketing and promotional materials and other various forms for group certification, rapid response activities, job fairs and orientations. Also, will help to create forms, reports and documents for internal programmatic needs.
• Maintains file systems on a daily basis to ensure accessibility of current information. This includes pulling files prior to appointments and group activities, returns files to their designated areas, and files various documents, forms, records, and case notes into customer files.
• Sorts, reproduces, routes, checks for accuracy, and prepares records in accordance with set procedures to ensure compliance with State, Federal, and local agency and departmental regulations.
• Greets customers and visitors in a friendly, professional manner, offering assistance.
• Answers the telephone and assists callers with general information and/or routes the calls accordingly.
• Helps with internal monitoring through data management, file reviews, development of checklists and program guides.
• Checks, enters and processes E-Reqs.
• Must keep updated on current and upcoming events and meetings. Must maintain updated knowledge of all relevant rules, regulations, program changes, workforce development opportunities, labor market, and job search resources in order to support staff/programs in order to assist in the ongoing delivery of programs with the highest quality of care. Supports all efforts to meet/exceed programmatic record requirements.
• Assists DESC team with routine clerical support, including copying, faxing, typing, word processing, executing mass mailings, email correspondence, filing, data entry, and the collation of forms.
• May assist in developing and posting electronic resumes on Michigan’s Talent Connect, as well as assisting customers in searching for job openings via the Internet and other resources available in the Resource Room.
• May aid employers in registering and posting job openings on Michigan’s Talent Connect as well as assists the employers in their resume searches for qualified candidates through Michigan’s Talent Connect..
• May deliver and distribute mail/files and deliver incoming faxes on a daily basis for both internal and external delivery.
• Assists in the reception area if needed.
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The Program Assistant is required to have a High School Diploma and one (1) year experience in a business office setting, with preference in human services or an educational setting. This position requires excellent organization skills, the ability to follow complex procedures and process data in accordance with governmental regulations. Must be proficient in Microsoft programs including: Word, Excel, Power Point and Access. The Program Assistant must be proficient in use of the Internet, experience in operating standard office equipment, including multi-line telephones, fax machines, copiers, mail meters, laptops, Ipads and be able to scan documents. This position requires excellent communication and customer service skills with the ability to adapt to various customer situations. Requires strong interpersonal skills in order to assist our team in meeting program objectives while complying with applicable regulations regarding record accuracy and service documentation. Strong written communication skills are a requirement along with the proven ability to articulate thoughts clearly on paper using proper grammar, punctuation, and the ability to apply language rules. Able to maintain confidential information and follows all security guidelines.