The role of the Eligibility Specialist is to strengthen Michigan families by:
- Ensuring that each person/family that applies for public assistance receives the type and level of assistance that they are eligible for
- Assessing the needs of each person/family and giving them appropriate information and making any referrals and/or contacts to persons/agencies to help them meet their needs.
- Providing all families with information about the expectations and goals of the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS).
- Encouraging and guiding families in their efforts to become self supporting
Assistance Payments Worker Position Description
Required Education and Experience
Completion of two years of college (60 semester or 90 term credits).
Assistance Payments Worker 8
No specific type or amount is required.
Assistance Payments Worker 9
One year of experience equivalent to an Assistance Payments Worker 8, Migrant Program Worker 8, or Family Independence Specialist 9.
Assistance Payments Worker E10
Two years of experience equivalent to an Assistance Payments Worker, including one year equivalent to an Assistance Payments Worker 9;
Two years equivalent to a Migrant Program Worker, including one year equivalent to a Migrant Program Worker 9;
Two years of experience equivalent to a Family Independence Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Family Independence Specialist 10.
Assistance Payments Worker 11
Three years of experience equivalent to an Assistance Payments Worker, including one year equivalent to an Assistance Payments Worker E10;
Three years equivalent to a Migrant Program Worker, including one year equivalent to a Migrant Program Worker E10;
Three years of experience equivalent to a Family Independence Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Family Independence Specialist P11.
Alternate Education and Experience
Four years of administrative support experience in a human services or office setting, including two years equivalent to the experienced (E7) level, may be substituted for the education requirement.
Completion of one year of college (30 semester or 45 term credits) and three years of administrative support experience in a human services or office setting, including one year equivalent to the experienced (E7) level, may be substituted for the education requirement.
Three years of Home Aide experience, including one year equivalent to a Home Aide E8, may be substituted for the education requirement.
Additional Requirements and Information
_ This position is located in Hastings, MI at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, 430 Barifield Drive, Hastings, MI 49058._
View the job specification at: Job Specification
**THIS POSTING IS BEING USED TO RECRUIT FOR BOTH PERMANENT AND LIMITED TERM APPOINTMENTS.
Your application will be valid for 6 months from the date you apply. To make changes or add attachments, you may reapply.**
To be considered for this position you must:
- apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on "Apply" in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
- relevant experience and/or education referred to in supplemental questions must be documented in resume, transcript and/or application to allow for accurate screening.
- You must attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment. Dates of employment should include month and year and hours per week.
- You must attach a cover letter.
- You must attach a copy of an official transcript(s) if you have any college credits. We accept scanned copies of official transcripts. We do not accept web-based, internet, or copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the institution, confirmation that a degree was awarded and on what date, and the registrar's signature.
- You must attach an essay (one page or less) explaining how your prior work experience has prepared you for this position. This document is also required and should be attached separately.
- You must also attach a short narrative listing how many years experience you have utilizing a computer and what internal and external computer programs you utilize. This document is also required and should be attached separately.
Failure to complete any of the above items may result in your application not being considered. See instructions for attaching files here: Instructions.
Please check us out on LinkedIn at any of the following hashtags:#MDHHSjobs #Veteranfriendly #Careerswithpurpose #CommunityHeroes
*YOUR APPLICATION FOR ANY POSITION DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY THE DEPARTMENT/AGENCY FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION. ONLY THOSE APPLICANTS INTERVIEWED WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE RESULTS. *
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services is committed to hiring a diverse workforce. MDHHS Diversity Equity and Inclusion
For further information regarding this posting please contact Angel Stout at StoutA2@michigan.gov or (269) 934-2273.
Salary: $1,535.20 - $2,154.40 Biweekly
Location: Hastings, MI
Job Type: Permanent Full Time
Department: Health and Human Services - Counties
Job Number: APW - Barry
Bargaining Unit: UNITED AUTO WORKERS (UAW)
Agency: State of Michigan
Address: 400 South Pine Street Lansing, Michigan, 48909
Phone: (800) 788-1766