Under the supervision of Dietary Lead Cook, assist with the preparation of a nutritional menu that meets required guidelines for Andahwod Continuing Care Community & Elder Service programs. Provide assistance in all assignments given by the Dietary Lead and Line Cooks during regular meal service and special functions. Maintain a clean and sanitized work area in accordance with health and safety standards. All Andahwod staff must adhere to mandated reporting laws.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Dietary Lead Cook to ensure that all menus meet required preparation and nutritional guidelines.
- Prepare well-balanced, nutritious meals and snacks according to established policies, procedures, and nutritional guidelines.
- Maintain temperature controls for stored food and prepared hot food in accordance with state recommended procedures.
- Serve food items according to health regulations.
- Assist with food preparation and proper food storage.
- Ensure that all equipment in food area is in safe working condition and notify the appropriate supervisor or manager when repairs are needed or equipment needs to be replaced.
- Inspect the food area, cooking and mixing utensils, and actively participates in cleaning and ensuring sanitary regulations standards.
- Assist with the daily cleaning of all kitchen equipment to ensure cleanliness and sanitary conditions are met.
- Maintain records on food and supplies received and used.
- Maintain accurate production records to ensure the Andahwod CCC & ES programs and all other special services meets or exceeds appropriate guidelines.
- Store grocery supplies from appropriate vendors for delivery and pick up using the First In and First Out standard operating policy.
- Work beyond normal business hours when necessary and work attendance must be consistent with minimal interruption of work schedule.
- Adhere to resident confidentiality and comply with department policies and federal regulations under the Privacy rules of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Provide excellent customer service for all internal and external customers of the operations at all times. Provide solutions for customer concerns and continually focus on customer service as our top priority.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality and present a positive, professional demeanor and image at all times.
- The above duties and responsibilities are not an all-inclusive list but rather a general representation of the duties and responsibilities associated with this position. The duties and responsibilities will be subject to change based on organizational needs and/or deemed necessary by the supervisor.
Contacts/Purpose of Contacts:
- Contact with residents, families, and guests.
- Contact with department supervisor, staff and individuals or groups from outside Andahwod in a moderately unstructured setting.
- One year cooking experience.
- Experience with quality food preparation and service in a large service kitchen preferred.
- Must be able to pass background check to meet the employment eligibility requirements as they pertain to the position.
License, Certification, or Special Requirements:
- Successful completion of ServSafe.
- Must be able to obtain HIPAA certification within five business days from date of hire.
- Native American preference shall apply to all positions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of how to prepare well-balance and nutritious meals.
- Knowledge of sanitation procedures.
- Knowledge of proper and safe food handling, storage, and disposal requirements.
- Skill in preparing food for large groups.
- Skill in handling sharp knives, and other cutting utensils.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to safely operate various cooking equipment and kitchen appliances.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to interact and maintain good working relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
- Frequent use of hands, wrists, fingers associated with operating equipment and controls.
- Required to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Frequently required to bend, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Extensive repetitive use of hands and arms to use kitchen equipment.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Assisted Living Center.
- Work is performed in a typical kitchen and dining room setting environment.
- Exposure to heat, cold, fumes and steam.
- Noise level is usually moderate.
- Potential contact with chemicals and/or cleaning reagents utilized within the facility.
- Exposure to unpleasant odors, blood-borne pathogens, hazardous material and infectious disease.
- Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.