Research Engineer I - Software Developer
Apply now (https://secure.dc4.pageuppeople.com/apply/1021/gateway/default.aspx?c=apply&lJobID=493154&lJobSourceTypeID=796&sLanguage=en-us) Job No: 23017
Department: Michigan Tech Rsrch Institute(MTRI)
Work Type: Staff - Full Time
Location: Michigan Tech Research Institute (Ann Arbor, MI)
Full Time / Part Time: Full Time
Categories: Information Technology
Department: Michigan Tech Research Institute
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description Summary
MTRI is seeking a motivated professional to help support multiple projects for our government and commercial customers. The Software Developer will work with senior engineers and scientists to research, develop, and evaluate algorithms for a variety of signal and image processing applications. The successful candidate will have a solid background in computer science with strong skills in software prototyping, software design, and algorithm design. The position is based at MTRI in Ann Arbor, MI (www.mtri.org).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
Participate as an integral team member on multi-disciplinary research relating to applying technological skills to solving governmental and societal needs.
Provide technical, analytical and numerical support for research and development projects in the areas of mathematics, statistics, programming, electrical engineering, and signal processing.
Lead software development projects and coordinate teams of junior software developers.
Develop software to prototype and evaluate signal processing, remote sensing, and/or machine learning algorithms.
Assist with defining software objectives by analyzing user requirements, system features, and functionality.
Recommend software solutions by comparing the pros and cons of custom versus off-the-shelf alternatives.
Coordinate requirements and schedules, contribute to team meetings, troubleshoot development and production problems.
Develop software documentation and assistance tools.
Continue to improve performance by being aware of new technologies and software products, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, and participating in professional organizations.
Accept ownership of, and responsibility for responding to, new and varied requests.
Assist research staff with deployment of cloud computing architectures for data processing.
Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
Master's degree or higher in computer science, computer engineering, mathematics, electrical engineering, or a similar related field, and 3 years of professional software development experience
Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, mathematics, electrical engineering, or a similar related field, and 6 years professional software development experience
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Experience in translating scientific theory into algorithms.
• Experience prototyping mathematical algorithms.
• Experience in software development.
• Proficiency in at least one of the following: Python, C/C++, MATLAB, Julia or equivalent language.
• Experience evaluating the performance of algorithms on simulated and/or measured data.
• Strong technical background in at least three of the following: applied mathematics, physics, electrical engineering, software design, signal processing, image processing, machine learning, reinforcement learning, numerical analysis, statistics, robotics, or distributed computing.
• Proficient in Linux or other Unix-based operating system.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
• Experience in or coursework covering signal or image processing.
• Experience with sensors or signal processing.
• Experience leading software development teams.
• Experience with one or more of the following: database design and maintenance, web development frameworks, iOS or Android development kits, ROS (Robotic Operating System).
• Experience working with multidisciplinary teams to perform research, solve technical problems, and/or develop software tools.
• Experience with the deployment of cloud-based computing architectures.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Ability to obtain a Department of Defense security clearance, which requires United States citizenship with no dual citizenship status.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral/written, and presentation communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to participate in team projects.
• Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
• Ability to clearly communicate complex ideas at meetings and symposia.
• Ability to contribute to competitive grant proposals.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Negotiable, Based on Experience
Title of Position Supervisor
Senior Research Engineer/Scientist
Internal & External
Dependent on Funding
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures* (minimum requirements)
Advertised: 23 Jan 2023 Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now (https://secure.dc4.pageuppeople.com/apply/1021/gateway/default.aspx?c=apply&lJobID=493154&lJobSourceTypeID=796&sLanguage=en-us) Refer a friend