Supervise department personnel, activities and special projects in accordance with company policies and procedures. Plan and develop systems and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the department. Ensure smooth production operation during shift. Responsible for training, and coaching employees.
Required Skills, Education, and Training:
- Basic reading, writing, and arithmetic skills required. This is normally acquired through a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of the manufacturing processes, procedures, and machinery. This is normally acquired through two to five years of manufacturing experience.
- Direction of plant operations requires significant manufacturing knowledge as well as interpersonal and supervisory skills. This is normally acquired by seven to ten years of manufacturing experience which includes supervisory responsibility.
- Manual dexterity required for operating machinery and computers.
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds required.
- Requires willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Direct and coordinate department and plant operations, and supervise staff within company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for shift schedule to include: work station assignments/rotations, employee training, employee vacations, employee breaks, overtime assignment, back-up for absent employees, and shift rotations.
- Plan and develop systems and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the department.
- Analyze and document processes and problems. Develop solutions to enhance efficiencies.
- Coordinate production start-ups, shutdowns, changeovers, and necessary maintenance.
- Maintain a clean, safe, and environmentally sound plant.
- Operate within standard operating procedures and complete job safety analysis.
- Evaluate department processes. Recommend and coordinate needed changes or improvements.
- Responsible for department production goals.
- Responsible for quality control. Make adjustments as necessary during shift to produce product within specifications. Reject product outside of specifications.
- Foster a well-trained and motivated staff.
- Promote awareness among employees regarding such issues as health, safety, environmental, quality, housekeeping and production through effective training and constant feedback.
- Assist staff to resolve complex or out of policy operation problems.
- Promote teamwork among employees and between shifts and departments.
- Conduct interviews, hire new staff, and provide employee orientation.
- Train and coach employees.
- Establish employee goals.
- Conduct employee performance reviews.
- Coordinate with Human Resources for appropriate staffing levels.
- Schedule and conduct department meetings and training.
- Responsible to meet department productivity and quality goals.
- Productive communication with other Supervisors and Managers.
- Confer with department heads to ensure coordination of purchasing, production, and shipping.
- Serve on committees and teams as department representative.
- Complete shift, personnel, departmental, and plant related paperwork.
- Monitor employees paperwork, machine cards, and time cards for completion and accuracy.
- Set standards for employees to follow through own work habits and actions.
- Assist in production as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.