The incumbent in this position will provide for the care and daily observation of animals as required to assure continued accreditation through the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care, International (AAALAC), and the continued availability of Emergent’s unique stock of guinea pig for use in product related testing.
Staff must be qualified through education and/or training to carry out the necessary program requirements.
Animal Care & Facility Support:
- Daily care of animals (feeding, watering, observing) cleaning cages, maintaining a high level of cleanliness and sanitation in the animal area
- Performance of technical assignments in care of animals such as weighing animals, recording weights, test set-up coordination, performing identification technique, euthanasia, and may collect or administer materials and samples
- May work in a biocontainment area
- Operation of autoclaves / cage washers / may operate forklifts; manual cleaning of caging and facilities.
- Willing to work overtime as assigned and as needed including weekends and holidays
Testing & Review:
- May perform limited non-routine testing via protocol
- Limited peer review (calculations, logs, etc.)
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- HS Diploma or equivalent
- 2-4 years of experience
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Microsoft teams, outlook, and PowerPoint is preferred
Skills & Experience Preferred:
- Certification through AALAS is preferred
- Experience with animals, particularly in a laboratory animal environment, is highly desirable
- Experience in cGMP/GLP practices in a FDA/USDA regulated environment is preferred