The Controls Engineer works in conjunction with Maintenance, Engineering, and production personnel to conceive, design, program, troubleshoot, and validate the machine processes of Pridgeon & Clay, Inc.’s self-manufactured and purchased equipment in an exemplary manner according to the company quality policies.
Qualified candidates will possess the following Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- Experience in machine repair of either metal stamping equipment, spot/resistance welding, robotic welders, or grinding and finishing equipment
- Experience with electrical trouble-shooting and performing electrical maintenance on equipment
- Ability to read, follow and understand electrical, mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic drawings, blueprints, schematics, code requirements, service manuals and manufacturers’ specifications,
- Experience with Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) programming and troubleshooting
- Ability to establish and maintain efficient project organization and provide technical direction to the project team, driving projects to completion
- Knowledge in all Allen Bradley PLC’s, Rockwell programming software (including RSLogix 500, RSLogix 5, RSLogix 5000, and Panelbuild32), as well as servo systems, variable speed drive controllers, and both AC and DC motors, and an excellent work record, including attendance.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Project, and PowerPoint
- Ability and willingness to work in a team-based work setting
- An excellent work record, including attendance
- Conduct/coordinate the machine debug, power-up, and machine validation with the appropriate build and electrical teams.
- Perform/document the electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic design and machine programming for new machine builds.
- Ensure equipment is designed and programmed to company’s build specifications using standard techniques and approach.
- Develop a plan that ensures all hardware/software is up-to-date and obsolesce is understood and plans in place for it.
- Produce drawings with AutoCAD R14, AutoCAD 2000, and/or AutoCAD LT2000 while utilizing company’s drawing standards and symbol libraries, unless otherwise specified.
- Utilize computerized Maintenance Management System to order parts, create work orders, track project costs, etc.
- Provide training and mentorship to Maintenance personnel.
- Ensure the maintenance computer and controls software are working correctly and that installation, CD’s, and licensing are maintained.
- Develop a machine “bill of materials” and coordinate the procurement of these materials with the purchasing department.
- Document projects so the details can be easily communicated and traceable by the plant teams to ensure a constant level of project awareness.
- Coordinate with Technicians to update drawings, manuals, sequence of operation, PLC and Human Machine Interface (HMI) programs, etc., on existing machines that do not have proper documentation.
- Attend certain technical training classes, as deemed necessary by Manager, and pass this knowledge along to peers, interns, and/or electrical apprentices.
- Ensure that all work is retained on the Pridgeon & Clay, Inc. network under the pre-determined file location(s).
- Report daily activity progress to Manager.
- Review electrical, hydraulic and controls drawings submitted by Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for compliance to company’s equipment standards.
- Integrate, develop, and troubleshoot programs for a number of different machine controllers, servo systems, motion controllers, robotics, HMI’s and related components in a timely and efficient manner.
- Suggest and implement ideas to increase personal and departmental efficiency.
- Participate in, and support, lean initiatives, continuous improvement, and problem solving events.
- Identify and attempt to eliminate types of waste
- Anticipate problems and work to prevent them
- Effectively communicate with co-workers and management personnel to enhance teamwork and communication initiatives.
- Provide necessary, accurate, and timely feedback of all pertinent information to co-workers and management.
- Consistently exhibit appropriate attendance habits, working the hours necessary to perform the job.
- Organize and maintain efficiency of personal work area.
- Consistently adhere to, and support, company policies and procedures, including ISO, IATF 16949, and safety regulations.
- Accept instructions and duties in a positive manner.
- Treat all co-workers with dignity and respect.
- Assist in maintaining company values (Integrity, People, Customers, Safety, We Can If…Do What It Takes, and Ownership) daily, through thoughts and actions.