Mel Trotter Ministries & the Michigan Coalition Against Homelessness AmeriCorps Program are seeking a Resource Generation & Management Specialist - AmeriCorps Member
Member Position Posting
Host Site: Mel Trotter Ministries, 225 Commerce SW, Grand Rapids MI 49503
Position Title: Resource Generation & Management Specialist AmeriCorps Member
Position Type: Full-Time/1700 Hours (35 hours/week minimum)
Duration of Term: October 4th, 2021 – September 30th, 2022
a. AmeriCorps Members will receive a living stipend of $16,000 (pre-tax) paid bi-weekly over the service year.
b. Members will receive an Educational Award of $6,345 upon successful completion of service.
c. The program will provide health care coverage for full-time members, if they elect to enroll. Full-time members may also receive childcare assistance, if eligible.
d. AmeriCorps members are not considered employees of the program, the host site, nor of the government.
The Michigan Coalition Against Homelessness AmeriCorps Program will support service providers by increasing their capacity to offer assistance to homeless and at-risk individuals and families. Specifically, the AmeriCorps members in the program will provide services that will increase an individual’s self-sufficiency in the area of income and life skills.
According to the National and Community Service Act of 1990, AmeriCorps members are not considered employees of the agency where they serve, nor are they employees of the program or the federal government. As such, members cannot engage in activities performed by employees of the host agency or otherwise displace employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Network with employers to create access to employment opportunities
- Support clients with job searches
- Assist with resume writing, help with filling out employment applications
- Provide linkages to GED, education, and other skilled trade programs
- Work to create employer mentorship programs
- Seek out employers/organizations who would be willing to assist at the agency for income and/or employment readiness
- Work with clients to help balance budgets, create sustainable living plans
- Facilitate life skills classes related to income and budgeting
- Provide information to clients related to other income sources (TANF, Medicaid, SSI, etc.)
- Assist clients with applications to mainstream benefits or refer to case manager
- Seek to establish a certified MI-BRIDGES portal
- Connect clients with additional necessary resources
- Gather and disperse food and clothing donations to clients
- Generate information materials for clients, such as newsletters/pamphlets/etc.
- Provide follow-up services to clients as needed
- Knowledgeable with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to learn electronic databases quickly to support case management and metrics
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Must be detail oriented and highly organized
- Valid driver’s license
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or a lawful, permanent resident of the U.S. and provide a copy of a birth certificate, passport or permanent resident card to prove citizenship
- Have completed of some college or comparable work experience
- Must be able to complete a full term of service (one year)
- Pass the following criminal history checks in accordance with the National Service Criminal History Check policy: State of Michigan, State of Residency (if applicable), FBI fingerprinting, and National Sex Offender Registry
- Have a car or can arrange reliable transportation to and from service site, multiple mandatory training sessions in Lansing, and travel on behalf of site
- Possess proficiency with word processing software and email
- Be able to interact respectfully with individuals from diverse socio-economic backgrounds
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $16,000.00 per year