The Plumber performs skilled plumbing work in the installation, maintenance, and repair of plumbing system, fixtures, and equipment. Work is performed independently, under the general supervision of Plumber Foreman and in accordance with standard trade practices. Work is performed at County buildings and involves the use of hand and power tools and equipment. The Plumber may work on equipment above ground level. The working conditions of the jail present a potentially dangerous environment for workers. E
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Requires a valid State of Michigan Plumber's License.
- Plumber, Journeyperson
- Master Plumber (Not Required, but preferred)
- Assemble pipe sections, tubing, or fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing, or welding equipment.
- Install pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, appliances such as dishwashers or water heaters, or fixtures such as sinks or toilets, using hand or power tools.
- Keep records of work assignments.
- Maintain or repair plumbing by replacing defective washers, replacing or mending broken pipes, or opening clogged drains.
- Direct helpers engaged in pipe cutting, preassembly, or installation of plumbing systems or components.
- Fill pipes or plumbing fixtures with water or air and observe pressure gauges to detect and locate leaks.
- Locate and mark the position of pipe installations, connections, passage holes, or fixtures in structures, using measuring instruments such as rulers or levels.
- Measure, cut, thread, or bend pipe to required angle, using hand or power tools or machines such as pipe cutters, pipe-threading machines, or pipe-bending machines.
- Review blueprints, building codes, or specifications to determine work details or procedures.
- Anchor steel supports from ceiling joists to hold pipes in place.
- Estimate time, material, or labor costs for use in project plans.
- Install underground storm, sanitary, or water piping systems, extending piping as needed to connect fixtures and plumbing.
- Inspect structures to assess material or equipment needs, to establish the sequence of pipe installations, or to plan installation around obstructions such as electrical wiring.
- Install green plumbing equipment, such as faucet flow restrictors, dual-flush or pressure-assisted flush toilets, or tankless hot water heaters.
- Cut openings in structures to accommodate pipes or pipe fittings, using hand or power tools.
WAYNE COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER