The Packaging Engineer will be responsible for establishing internal and external packaging processes for new product development, special projects, and current production to meet customer requirements. This role includes project planning, internal Work In Process (WIP), and external Finished goods packaging/ logistics while maintaining continuous improvement activities related to Safety, Environmental, Quality, Cost, and Delivery for Pridgeon and Clay Global operations based out of Grand Rapids, MI.
Qualified candidates will possess the following Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing Engineering preferred or equivalent work experience in automotive packaging.
- Prior automotive packaging engineering experience is preferred
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes.
- Computer expertise in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project, and Outlook).
- Proficiency in the use of AutoCAD and SolidWorks software.
- Working knowledge of CAD and technical drawings.
- Basic GD&T knowledge.
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork, organizational, and collaboration skills.
- The ability to perform projects with a high degree of detail.
- Exceptional professional attributes that include self-motivation and dependability.
- The ability to build effective work relationships.
- Exceptional problem solving and communication skills, and an excellent work record, including attendance.
- Designs and develops packaging solutions while adhering to Safety (ergonomics), Environmental, Quality, Cost, and Customer requirements.
- Work with Process Engineers, Quality Engineers, and Launch Engineers to determine ideal packaging solutions for new product launches.
- Attends program review meetings
- Reviews packaging feasibility and develops packaging designs and concepts.
- Reviews program timeline and quantities for packaging requirements
- Presents design concerns to the Launch team
- Attends tryouts for early packaging development as required
- Assist in the launch training for packaging being implemented
- Obtain/follow up on quotations, prototypes, testing, and procurement of packaging for customers and internal plant locations based upon an understanding of customer requirements, production processes, logistics, distribution, warehousing, and quality requirements.
- Identify improvements to current packaging solutions and work with Engineering and Manufacturing to design acceptable alternatives.
- Analyzes end of line material flow to optimize ergonomics, equipment uptime, and Hilo usage
- Follow a standard problem-solving model (i.e. DMAIC) to improve any problems or issues identified.
- Develop, maintain, and update internal operator packaging instructions and routers as necessary.
- Develop, maintain, and update WIP container inventory process
- Identify alternate packaging for when returnable packaging is unavailable.
- Create or update layouts in AutoCAD.
- Develop and maintain reports, graph/chart data, project status, and present reports weekly to the Process Engineering team by use of PowerPoint and WebEx.
- Lead vendors and manufacturing leaders in the scheduling of process reviews, layouts, installations, and manage project timelines.