Field Service Technician - Outside Plant (Drop Bury)
Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed below:
- Verify all locates are completed before any task to be performed
- Bury service lines minimum 6" to 24" depth with hand trenching when required and with drop plows and boring capabilities
- Identify and locate unmarked utilities
- Actively identify and eliminate risk of damages
- To install new service cable drops, replace existing cable drop
- Hand Burial or machine trenching
- Complete sidewalk and driveway bores, to include use of boring attachment
- Re-connection of an existing underground drop from the tap to the ground block
- Repair, replace, or re-route drops.
- Permanent underground drop replacement
- Includes removal of any old drops on-site when necessary and all restoration to customer satisfaction
- All follow up work needing to be performed reported to the manager
- Recording signal levels, daily times, function codes, and any additional system-specific required documentation
- Operate the vehicle, drop bury machine, hand tools, power tools, ladders, signal level meters, voltmeters, converters, cable locators, leakage detection devices, other test equipment
- Maintains a clean and organized company vehicle/ drop bury equipment.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to present technical information to a non-technical audience
- Able to work independently
- Able to accurately measure distances using tapes and other measuring devices
- Able to use assigned test equipment including but not limited to signal level meter (SLM), leakage detector, volt OHM meter, sweep receiver, underground locator and TDR
- Able to accurately maintain records, logs, reports, work orders, etc.
- Able to operate office equipment, fax, copier, etc.
- Able to handle escalations and time-critical issues
- Able to read street maps
- Able to work flexible hours as required, including evenings, weekends and on-call shifts
- Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Must be 21 years of age or older (liability insurance requirements)
Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent. One to two years of experience in the broadband communication field required. Working experience of underground construction and fiber builds required.
- Stick Bore knowledge and understanding
- Directional bore experience
Basic computer skills are preferred, including internet and email
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work while standing most of the time
- Ability to walk or work over all types of terrain, in all types of weather
- Ability to carry tools and equipment
- Ability to work in tight spaces while bending, twisting and reaching
- Ability to carry, climb and operate extension ladder (approx. 28’ & 75lbs)
- Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires
- Ability to perform work in elevated places (i.e., roofs and utility poles)
- Ability to use drills, hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers and other hand tools
- Ability to work with small components
- Ability to use close vision, peripheral vision and adjust focus
- Ability to work in poorly vented areas such as attics, in extreme temperatures
- Ability to move, crawl, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, pull, push, and grasp
- Ability to lift up to 90 pounds
- Physically able to work computer equipment and test equipment
- Ability to work in environments that may contain dust, dirt, noise, insects and cleaning solutions
- Ability to work safely near power lines and electrical equipment
- Ability to drive Company vehicles in a safe manner
- Must be able to meet the physical limit requirements of personal protective equipment, aerial lift equipment, ladders and/or gaffs that may be used in this position.