About this Opportunity
Our Operations Teams are responsible for all aspectsof manufacturing high quality products in a timely manner to delight our customers. Operations team members play an important role in Herman Miller's success and prepare us to help people do great things. All of our team members work in clean, bright environments that make use of Lean manufacturing principles. These teams share a passion for quality and hold safety as a number one priority.
As a Material Handler, you'll receive, store, and pull raw and finished goods through the facility in a safe, accurate, and timely manner, along with the proper part tracking.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
- Change the powered equipment fork lift battery as necessary, wearing theappropriate safety equipment as posted in the battery changing area.
- Complete required transactions accurately using hand-held terminals, personal computers, or forms. You will verify that the goods match the transaction and ensure that goods are identified accurately.
- Ensure that your powered equipment license is kept current.
- Follow ISO work instructions related to the position and other departmental requirements.
- Know and practice corporate, plant, and department safety policies.
- Maintain a clean, safe work area free from debris on floor, racks, dock areas, and trailers.
- Meet overtime requirements.
- Meet team, department, and plant goals.
- Meet the needs of internal and external customers.
- Move product, components, or materials to or from production areas, warehouse rack locations, staging areas, and trailers in a safe, accurate, and timely manner.
- Operate equipment, powered stand-up fork lifts and order pickers, and manual two-wheel dollys in a safe manner. You will ensure that equipment is kept clean and free of debris. You'll alsoperform daily safety inspections and communicate problems or issues to the Maintenance Department.
- Perform accuracy checks as required.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
- Support Herman Miller Performance System (HMPS) activities.
- Work independently without direct supervision.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have...
- A high school diploma or equivalent (GED), or work experience which demonstrates performance competency.
- A competency in basic math skills, such as adding and subtracting.
- The ability to read, understand, communicate, and interpret written and verbal instructions, work documentation, policies, practices, etc., in the English language.
- The ability to bend, twist, stand, etc.
- The ability to lift up to 60pounds and move items up to 360pounds with assistance.
- The ability to work cooperatively within the team as well as with members of other teams to meet goals.
- A willingness to adapt to a continually changing environment.
- Reliable attendance.
- The ability to pass all required tests for a fork lift license within 30 days of accepting the position, if you do not currently hold a fork lift license.
- Asense of urgency and the ability to follow written and verbal instruction explicitly.
- The abilityto perform all essential job functions of the position with or withoutaccommodations.
This position requires passing a drug and alcohol test. You must also pass tests administered by Health Services.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.