Fiber Technician - Outside Plant
The Fiber Technician - OSP plays a vital role in ensuring quality and timely deliveries of our fiber services along with additional services to customers. Skilled in fiber optic splicing with an understanding in engineering and splicing drawings. This position will have project management skills, ability to work independently, knowledge of construction practices for outside plant cable placement, sufficient experience with computers and have a background in fiber optic splicing documentation practices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed below:
- Prepping and fusion or mechanical splice SM and occasionally MM fiber optic cables, in both outdoor and indoor settings
- Constructs proper splice cases pressurized and non-pressurized, using all types and sizes of cable, including but not limited to: grounding, bonding, isolation, slack storage and sealing
- Able to place a mid-sheath splice
- Work with Construction PM’s and/or OSP Engineers to perform splicing as directed
- Testing and troubleshooting fiber using an OTDR, optical power meter, fiber identifier and scope
- Provide the OSP Engineers with detailed reports of field splicing activity
- Work flexible hours, after hours work which would include nights and weekends
- Strong communication skills are absolutely essential as is a cooperative attitude toward co-workers and third-party vendors
- Maintain a positive attitude and strong work ethic that can provide high productivity with minimal supervision.
- On call rotation responding and restoring services for emergency calls, responsible for being on the job at short notice to repair damaged cables until service is restored.
- Reviews and interprets underground and aerial cable records in existing records, on maps or in the field Makes precise recommendations for changes in running fiber optic cables, or provides input into construction methodologies
- Participates in engineering, permit and construction processes
- Perform all work as necessary to conform to quality control guidelines (includes compliance with requirements outlined in applicable regulations such as: OSHA, FCC, NESC and NEC, etc ; as well as following procedures as outlined in the Installation, Technical, Operations, and Safety Manuals, and Employee Guidebook)
- Clean, maintain, stock, and secure assigned vehicle and equipment
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Candidates must possess the ability to multitask, problem solve, think clearly and respond in a fast-paced or fluid environment
- Must be reliable and dependable, self-motivated and willing to learn
- Ability to read street maps and system design prints
- Ability to adhere to Local, Federal regulations and Company policies
- Proficient with construction equipment, hand tools, fusion splicer, OTDR, fiber identifiers and scope
- Ability to carry, climb and operate extension ladder, (approx. 28 ft high and 75 pounds)
- Ability to lift and move up to 100 pounds
- Ability to climb poles using gaffs and climbing belt as needed
- Ability to drive company vehicles (bucket truck) in a safe and responsible manner and operate hydraulic aerial lifts
- Ability to perform job from high places (i.e. poles and roofs)
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions and the ability to adjust focus
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have good organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and organize effectively
- Basic understanding of Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Must be able to work independently without supervision
- Valid driver's license, auto insurance, with a satisfactory driving record
- Work outdoors in all kinds of weather and at all times of the day or night
- Work performed near power lines and electricity
- Work and travel in inclement weather
- High school Diploma or GED equivalent, some college preferred
- Previous experience in the telecommunications industry, specifically with OSP fiber optics
- Excellent organizational, mathematical skills, and computer skills
- Ability to multitask and handle numerous assignments simultaneously
Word processing, spreadsheets, Internet software, email, and Google Earth. AutoCad, GIS, and database software are a plus.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to talk and hear
- Frequently required to sit, stand, bend at the knees and waist, and walk
- Required to use hands to type, handle objects and paperwork
- Required to reach and hold on to items at chest level or reach above the shoulder
- Frequently required to work indoors in poorly ventilated areas such as attics during extreme heat
- Frequent exposure to dust, dirt, noise, insects, cleaning solutions
- Ability to carry, climb and operate ladder
- Required to use close vision and be able to focus
- Must be able to lift/carry 50 lbs. at any given time
- Must be able to travel for business purposes on an occasional basis.