Join a diverse and dynamic team that makes and delivers the most valuable services in the world: electricity and natural gas. At Consumers Energy, our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Our employees work around the clock to provide service to our customers in honor of our history and to fulfill our promise to Michigan - Count on Us! Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy and headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, provides natural gas and electricity to nearly 6.8 million of Michigan's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
The Gas Distribution Engineering Analyst to support the Southeast zone. This position is eligible for remote work or can be based in any of our Michigan locations.
The Gas Distribution Engineering Analyst is responsible for:
- Supporting the construction and maintenance activities that keep the gas distribution system safe and reliable.
- project development, scoping and the alignment of the Material Condition - Non-Modeled (CINC) projects.
- Supporting other emergent field work, including designed replacements due to leaks, corrosion, records deficiencies, and field follow-ups / further action items.
- Coordinating emergent Civic Improvement projects and resolution, those where we need to relocate facilities where the municipal contract crews are already on site.
- Advocate for Consumers Energy's rights to location, maintenance and installation within public ROW. Use engineering analysis and utility design specifications, to determine the risk to CE facilities due to the proximity of, or construction techniques being used by, the municipality's project.
- Negotiate with municipal agents to resolve conflicts that arise while third party construction is underway, which may include emergent replacement of main or service facilities, coordination clause with the excavator for their assistance in relocation, coordinating internal or contract CE resources to resolve conflicts.
- Evaluate emergent construction conditions and determine creative solutions for most effective and most efficient resolution
- Process improvements and projects related to improving efficiency in design, construction and/or compliance. Examples of this may include, but not be limited to:
- Projects to document new processes to ensure compliance with gas safety standards.
- Projects where coordination with the end-use gas customer will be required, such as company-initiated replacements or relocates.
- Projects requiring field investigation before a decision can be made as to how to move
- forward, or other projects as assigned by Leadership to meet business needs.
- Project development and scoping of Material Condition Non-Modeled replacement projects
These responsibilities will require a strong working knowledge of the gas distribution system and the stakeholders and processes involved to scope, identify and design the most sensitive and strategic gas distribution projects. This position is unique in that it requires the highest level of technical design skill to know and understand all options for design and construction on the gas distribution system, but also requires very high levels of political savvy, tact, customer communication and negotiation skills. This role will work closely with the Distribution System Engineers, Distribution Pipeline Engineering, Distribution Grid Analyst and Technical Advisor teams, and will be responsible for establishing strong working relationships with field personnel and other internal stakeholders.
- Five (5) years of years of technical work experience.
- Bachelor's degree in scientific/technical field preferred.
- Knowledge of federal and state gas code
- Project Management skills to include the ability to lead projects associated with process/technology/compliance improvements, resolve issues, and coordinate resources
- Ability to solve complex technical problems; taking new perspectives using existing solutions
- Ability to meet and manage multiple deadlines
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal savvy
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, including Teams
HOURS & TRAVEL
- This position requires the individual work 40 hours per week with approximately 75% of time spent in the office or specific field locations.
- Travel (approximately 25%) to in-state job sites and project meetings is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and move up to ten pounds and occasionally lift and move up to fifty pounds. The recommended maximum weight for employees to lift without the aid of other employees of lifting device is 35lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The noise level on the construction site is often loud. Individual must have the ability to work up to 16 continuous hrs. during emergent work.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.