Join a diverse and dynamic team that makes and delivers the most valuable services in the world: electricity and natural gas. At Consumers Energy, our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Our employees work around the clock to provide service to our customers in honor of our history and to fulfill our promise to Michigan - Count on Us! Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy and headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, provides natural gas and electricity to nearly 6.8 million of Michigan's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
The IT Business Case Manager leads, defines and owns all aspects of the IT Business Case development and Technology Investment Council processes for the IT organization including overall strategy and continuous improvement. This role provides leadership in educating and is key to ensuring that technology business cases are properly developed and maintained, to drive out projects that bring key financial and performance benefits and deliver value to the company.
Regularly review and improve IT Business Case Standards and IT Regulatory Style Guide to ensure they support:
- Corporate Integrated Business Plan requirements
- Business Planning System (BPS) requirements
- Related Rate Case filing requirements
- Changes in the IT environment
- Business Case industry best practices
Update and maintain the IT Business Case processes:
- Business case development
- Business case prioritization and approval
Lead a team of Business Case Analysts:
- Assure that team members are trained and skilled in business case development practice
- Track adherence of the team to IT Business Case Standards and process
- Provide training and continual improvement on the IT Business Case standards and use of the BPS system
- Provide feedback and coaching on work completed by the team on specific business cases
- Align with Business Architecture in support of business case development
Work with the Business Areas and the Business Technology Directors to:
- Develop a backlog of business case development work based on Business Technology Roadmaps and emergent business needs
- Provide resources and inputs to roadmaps as it relates to the business cases estimates, enterprise architecture standards, and the overall IT portfolio of future year work
- Communicate business cases results and support Business Partner presentation within their business units
- Communicate IT Business Case standards and processes
- Align the portfolio of IT future work to avoid duplication and optimize projects that will be implemented
- Assure all information is properly documented in the company's BPS system
- Drive the Business and IT Leadership to decisions about what projects should be adopted or rejected
- Create the IT Project List that will be used for financial plan and rate case submissions
Work with financial analysis and rate case areas of IT to:
- Support the development of inputs into rate cases based on Business Case Information
- Assure the business case analyst are staffed to support rate case audit and discovery questions and provide back-up support to answer questions as needed
- Support the development of the list of IT projects to be part of the Company's Integrated Business Plan
- Support the IT portfolios and financial management in the development of an IT prioritized list
- Provide information to the Technology Investment Council as needed
Other responsibilities include:
- Provide visual management to show the progress of business case development
- Assess the effectiveness of the business analyst team and the impact on the parallel process within the company
- Complete ad hoc financial analysis, and provide inputs for the development of exhibits, work papers, and testimony content
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Information Technology or related field
- Minimum of 8 years with 10 years or more preferred
Lead matrixed team across IT portfolios to support business case development and align with multiple levels of management; work across all aspects of IT to drive out business case information required to support business processes; develop a sound analysis that supports data-driven decisions; communicate findings at all levels of the organization; understand the basics of corporate financials; gather required data from various individuals, and present results; document and maintain standard processes; professionally perform duties and collaborate with others; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and outside peers; regular attendance and adherence to prescribed work schedule to conduct job responsibilities; observe safe work practices and safety methods; perform other duties as assigned.
Hours and Travel
Occasional travel required to attend off-site business meetings, training sessions, and travel between company locations. Meet the travel requirements of the position. Work a flexible schedule when required, which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, and overtime.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee must lift and move up to twenty pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Position will be filled at the appropriate salary grade based upon the skills, knowledge, and experience of the selected candidate.
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.