Join a diverse and dynamic team that makes and delivers the most valuable services in the world: electricity and natural gas. At Consumers Energy, our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Our employees work around the clock to provide service to our customers in honor of our history and to fulfill our promise to Michigan - Count on Us! Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy and headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, provides natural gas and electricity to nearly 6.8 million of Michigan's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
The Senior Accounting Analyst II position is part of the Enterprises Accounting function within the Controller's organization. The successful candidate applies an advanced knowledge of accounting, internal control and SEC reporting in complex areas of substantial importance to the Company with a primary focus on supporting CMS Enterprises Operations, Finance, and Development teams. This position is responsible for:
- Applying advanced knowledge of accounting to complex transactions.
- Financial statement preparation support in accordance with GAAP
- Supporting business partners with and providing an understanding of accounting ramifications related to developing transactions and businesses.
- Completing income statement and balance sheet variance analytics
- Working closely with external auditors to support quarter and year-end audit requests
- Maintaining and monitor compliance with Sarbanes Oxley requirements
- Recording monthly journal entries and completing account reconciliations
- Focusing on waste elimination and modifying processes to reduce human struggle
- Assisting our various customers, including External Financial Reporting, Financial Planning and Forecasting, Treasury, Investor Relations, and Tax
- Bachelor's degree
- Five or more years of related work experience in the accounting field
- Solid knowledge of GAAP and ability to interpret and apply appropriately
The following skills/experiences will set you apart from others:
- Seven or more years of related work experience in the accounting field
- Experience at a Big 4 accounting firm
- Experience with acquisitions and development projects
- SAP experience and intermediate experience with Microsoft office
- Excellent time management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a professional team
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams on assigned projects
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
This position will be filled commensurate with the successful candidate's education and experience.
The Controller's organization performs all the accounting functions for the company, including but not limited to:
- Financial Accounting - month, quarter, and year-end journal entries, reconciliations, and financial statement preparation and analysis
- Management Accounting - budgeting, forecasting, and analysis to support business decision making
- Financial Reporting - preparing quarterly and annual SEC, FERC, and MPSC filings
- Compliance - developing and maintaining internal controls and overseeing S-Ox and other compliance
Essential Functions of the Senior Accounting Analyst II Job Family
- Oversee management of the general ledger, production of periodic reports, year-end financial reporting, and coordination of the accounting and reporting close schedules
- Effectively communicate to facilitate and ensure adherence to policies and procedures
- Act as liaison to internal and external auditors, participate in auditing projects, and provide information and access to accounting records
- Have responsibility for the accuracy of financial records and conduct ongoing reviews of policies and procedures to comply with state and federal regulations, codes, ordinances, and accounting standards
- Supervise and coordinate the activities of a designated unit (determine work procedures, prepare work schedules and determine methods for expediting work flow, and assign, review, and approve the work of subordinate staff)
- Review accounting pronouncements issued by various regulatory bodies such as the Financial Accounting Standards Board and recommend revisions to policies and procedures
- Assist with the planning and implementation of financial projects and programs
- Analyze, interpret, and verify financial documents and reports and make necessary corrections and updates
Initially this position is likely to be fully remote, consistent with the company's ongoing efforts to mitigate the effects and spread of COVID-19. Even after normal work conditions resume when COVID-19 is acceptably mitigated, the Enterprises Accounting department intends to continue encouraging acceptable remote-work arrangements on an ongoing basis, consistent with the company's evolving policies for the performance of office work in an empowered and agile environment based on individual circumstances. Eventually, the individual will be expected to work in Jackson, MI (One Energy Plaza) periodically. Additionally, occasional travel may be required for off-site meetings or training. Flexible work schedule may include evenings, weekends, holidays, and overtime.
Position will be filled at the appropriate salary grade based upon the skills, knowledge, and experience of the selected candidate.
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.