Join a diverse and dynamic team that makes and delivers the most valuable services in the world: electricity and natural gas. At Consumers Energy, our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Our employees work around the clock to provide service to our customers in honor of our history and to fulfill our promise to Michigan - Count on Us! Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy and headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, provides natural gas and electricity to nearly 6.8 million of Michigan's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
The Development Operations (Dev Ops) role is a senior Technical / Delivery Lead-type role within Consumers Energy and will often serve as a technical lead on several application implementation projects. Partnering with internal business client(s), the Dev Ops administrator will have a clear understanding of the context of the application and its usage to ensure successful implementation. Projects range from new project builds through maintenance / enhancement activities, with a larger concentration on new projects - being able to effectively apply technical skills in the full range of support is ideal. Through extensive analysis, design preparation, and testing, the Dev Ops Administrator will install and configure enterprise-level software into the Consumer Energy environment. Effectively identifying, researching, and resolving any defects within a given application are critical phases of support in this role; as such, communication and interaction with an application vendor(s) for issue resolution and/or technical support is common. Relying upon previous technical /platform (Windows and Unix OS) knowledge and keen internet research abilities to perform tasks efficiently is a must in this role.
This position is a senior level role and a high degree of autonomy is expected. However collaboration, teamwork, and a sharing of knowledge is a key objective. Documentation of projects, processes, and troubleshooting aides and facilitates the cross-functional team, technical writing and strong documentation skills are critical.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Serve as a technical leader in the installation and configuration of off the shelf enterprise-level applications
- Support a wide number and type of applications, including middleware and batch activity through operational (maintenance) and/or new project implementation(s)
- Develop technical documentation for supported applications (implementation design documents, support activities, etc.)
- Create, assign, and manage users with a focus on application security
- Ensure security among data management and associated processes, including adhering to data retention policies, file systems, data transfers, and more
- Provide 24x7 on-call rotational support as needed
- Assist and/or facilitate testing phases for applications
- Provide scripting or development services as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems, or similar major is strongly preferred
- 3+ years of applicable experience in application administration, design, testing, implementation, and documentation
These skills may set you apart from the rest:
- Advanced analytical and troubleshooting skills with good problem solving abilities
- Able to successfully multi-task and shift focus quickly
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong leadership, negotiation, conflict management and facilitation skills
- Ability to set priorities and manage workload to meet those priorities
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of management and different business partner organizations
- Willing to go above and beyond to support the business needs and aid resolution
- Extensive previous working experience with Windows and Unix platforms
- Must be able to work collaboratively as well as independently
- Knowledge of IT system installation, configuration, and maintenance
- Application support experience
- Strong knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) principles, processes, tools, and techniques
- Experience with performance measuring and monitoring of IT systems
Position will be filled at the appropriate salary grade based upon the skills, knowledge, and experience of the selected candidate.
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.