Business Development Manager
You’re an effective leader for an engineering-driven company, but you want more. If you’re already in sales, maybe the market you’re working in has grown tiresome, filled with prospects that will only work with you on a transactional level. If you’re in engineering or operations, maybe it’s hard for you to see the direct impact of your work for the company you work for, or for the rest of the team you work with. You want them to thrive, too.
You’re not alone. At DornerWorks, we want that too. And we want you. Join our team as a Business Development Manager.
When we’re successful, our Business Development Managers approach sales as a problem-solving mission—as a way to help our clients make great decisions about technology engineering services. We’re in business to help our clients succeed through collaboration with technology, and our path forward includes continuing and growing strong relationships with Michigan Defense and Aerospace clients.
As a Business Development Manager at DornerWorks, you will be responsible for results:
- Lead focus on new business opportunities, particularly related to GE Aviation in Grand Rapids and the Army’s Ground Vehicle Systems Center in Warren, Michigan and the other businesses that serve them. Hunt for clients in these markets; figure out where their community is; build relationships and partnerships; show thought leadership in cooperation with our engineering teams; help create compelling marketing content that communicates with this audience.
- Shape opportunities. You will learn the client’s perspective and discover their needs and pain points, then match the benefits of our engineering solutions to solve those problems.
- Develop proposals. You will help create and present effective proposals that show the client how their problem will be solved.
- Be accountable to leadership. We will expect individualized business development plans that discuss goals, strategies, activities, and obstacles.
- Be creative. Our defined sales process isn’t a rigid set of rules, but rather a collection of guidelines that we’ve found work well for our business. You will use your creativity to cultivate relationships, follow hunches, explore opportunities, and serve clients that we didn’t anticipate.
- Work with the team. Don’t work alone—we have a diverse team that can help you do your job.
We would expect you to bring skills like these to our company:
- Detailed understanding of, and passion for, at least some of our Defense and Aerospace clients in Michigan.
- Strong communication skills to understand client needs through listening and for making effective sales presentations.
- Effective relationship-building skills for developing internal and external working relationships and with proven ability to positively influence others.
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Teams and Office, CRM/automation tools, and version control tools.
What we expect from you:
- Show the DornerWorks key characteristics of being service-oriented, ownership minded, and innovative.
- A bachelor’s degree in a technical or sales-related field.
- Prior experience in engineering services business development, sales, software or hardware development, and/or project management is preferred.
- Sales or business development experience in a technical/engineering service field is preferred.
- Prior experience in engineering or related fields preferred.
- Some amount of business travel is to be expected, up to 25-50% of your time.
- Unrestricted right to work in the US without requiring sponsorship.
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to have work that is challenging, diverse, engaging, and collaborative
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Healthy work/life balance, at DornerWorks’ that is not just an empty slogan; it is one of our core values
- Compressed work week, with the opportunity to take every other Friday off and flexible hours
- Right now, during these unique times we are experiencing due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working remote (quite successfully we might add). We continue to assess the situation and will consider on going remote work flexibility moving forward.
If this sounds like a match for you, please apply for this position. If you join us, you will enjoy the chase again. You will help us explore exciting new business and solve problems for our clients. And you will make a big impact for DornerWorks and our entire team.
Learn more about DornerWorks and our culture from our website at www.DornerWorks.com.
Learn more about the great city of Grand Rapids and the natural splendor of West Michigan at: https://hellowestmichigan.com/our-communities/grand-rapids/
DornerWorks believes a diverse workplace yields better ideas and outcomes and we are committed to promoting diversity of experience, perspectives, and capabilities. Each individual makes a unique contribution to our company. We recognize that diversity is critical to our success. DornerWorks proudly supports a culture of inclusion that encourages a work environment that honors diverse opinions. Employees can thrive here, and know their individual skills, abilities and viewpoints are honored.
DornerWorks is an equal opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. EEO/M/F/Disabled/Veteran
This facility operates under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and therefore, any person hired must demonstrate with verifiable documentation that they are either: (i) a U.S. Citizen; (ii) an active Green Card Holder; or (iii) a “Protected Person” as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324 (b)(a)(3).