Herman Miller's Summer Internship Program is a paid, 12-week opportunity that provides a 100% real-world experience for students early in their career. Throughout the summer you will apply academic learning to real-world situations and cultivate leadership, problem-solving, and communication skills.
As an Archives Graduate Intern, you'll help manage Herman Miller's archival collection, including inventories, digitization, and reference requests.
Why Join Us?
Our purpose is to design for the good of humankind. It's the ideal we strive toward each day in everything we do. Being a part of Herman Miller Group means being a part of something larger than your work team, or even your brand. We create places where people love to be, places that reflect who they are, places that truly matter to people. And our success allows Herman Miller Group to support causes that align with our values, so we can help create a more equitable and sustainable future for all.
Inside the Job
Your responsibilities will include:
- Conducting an inventory of archival collections with a focus on furniture and objects
- Working with our in-house photographer to develop a workflow for photographing collection items
- Digitizing and re-housing archival materials
- Contributing to the management of newly digitized assets
- Assisting with reference requests from internal and external researchers
- Working with the Archives team to complete an internship project
- Gaining on-the-job work experience aligned with your career goals
What You Bring
Needed skills and experience for this role include:
- Ability to work with a team as well as independently
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work in Mac environment. Experience with digitization and/or Photoshop is a bonus
- Current enrollment in a Design, Art History, Museum Studies, or Information or Library Science graduate program
- Interest in corporate and/or design archives
- Experience in archives or special collections library preferred; related coursework acceptable
- Authorization to work in the United States
- Favorable academic standing within your current academic program
Our values speak to our shared beliefs. They describe how we live our purpose through the way we lead, the way we see one another, and the way we approach our work.
We are difference-makers reflects our commitments to creating places that matter, to being a good neighbor in our communities, and to using business as a force for good.
We are all extraordinary is our statement about the worth of individuals and our commitment to helping everyone reach their full potential.
We are better together demonstrates how challenging one another, making room for everyone, and working and winning as one makes us stronger.
Who We Hire
Simply put, we hire everyone who wants to do great work and be part of a winning team. Herman Miller is comprised of people of all abilities, gender identities and expressions, ages, ethnicities, sexual orientations, veterans from every branch of military service, and more. Here, you can bring your whole self to work. We're committed to equal opportunity employment, including veterans and people with disabilities.