Description About this Opportunity
As a Cutter working at Nemschoff, you'll cut fabric for upholstered furniture and panels using manual tools, power tools, or automated equipment, as well as select the proper die for the type of product and fabric being used. You will problem-solve with the assistance of other team members and seek continuous improvement. All of your activities will be performed and completed with a high regard for the safety of others and yourself. You may also learn additional functions by cross-training in other departments.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
- Complete required paperwork.
- Follow Nemschoff's recycling procedures for the proper disposal of items.
- Follow Nemschoff's standard quality guidelines for all products.
- Follow the requirements of good documentation practices when handling quality records or controlled documents.
- Maintain equipment on a daily basis and bring issues to the Supervisor as needed.
- Work in a team environment.
- Work overtime as needed for production needs.
- Work with a safety-oriented mind set.
- Perform all operations in a safe manner.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
- Question any unusual fabric and discuss with supervision.
- Read and understand production paperwork.
- Recognize flaws and dye lot differences to check the direction of fabric.
- Understand all marking and notches which are instructions to Sewers and Upholsters.
- Understand equipment operations.
- Utilize good math skills to record yardage.
- Utilize Lean manufacturing principles as trained or directed.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have...
- A high school diploma or GED.
- One to two years of previous sewing experience (preferred).
- A familiarity with materials and their names and computer numbers to ensure the accurate use and check-in of fabric.
- The ability to read and interpret documents such as shop order prints and the Sewer's Handbook.
- The ability to communicate problems with material or sewing to the proper supervisor.
- The ability to read and understand material safety data sheets when using chemicals.
- Knowledge of the standard (non-metric) unit of measurements. You'll need to know and understand fractions up to 1/16 of an inch and know how to make measurements with a ruler. You'll also need an overall ability to do basic math.
- The ability to carry out detailed and straightforward written or oral instructions.
- The ability to perform critical thinking functions.
- The ability to work in a regulated environment.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Nemschoff, we focus on nurturing creative people, innovative thinking, and forward-looking healthcare solutions. Our unique combination of experience, insights, skills, and willingness to try new ideas makes us a leader in the industry. Part of the Herman Miller family, we have a design-focused, environmentally responsible approach and a commitment to craftsmanship that has been a part of our culture since 1950. Based in the lakeshore city of Sheboygan, Wisconsin, we offer a high quality of life, a rewarding team atmosphere, and an excellent benefits package.
We are always looking for talented people to join our team. Ready to apply? View a list of our open positions and apply online at nemschoff.com/careers or at our parent company, Herman Miller.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.
Employee Status: Regular
Work Schedule: 6am-230pm - Monday - Friday
Primary Location: United States