System Designer/Estimator – Coopersville, MI
Bekins is a continuously growing family owned company that first started in 1975 as Bekins Appliance Service. With three locations in West Michigan, we are now nationally known as a high-end retail and service company that sells, installs, and services appliances and electronics. We exist to be the best; challenging industry norms to do what’s right, and to make a positive difference in the lives of our employees, their families, our customers, and the community. Bekins' workforce has doubled in size over the last five years and we continue to look to hire the best.
The Electronics System Designer/Estimator works with customers to design and provide a cost estimate for integrated electronic systems in their home. This new member of the Electronics Integration Department will be responsible for designing and estimating electronic projects including home theater and media rooms, whole home audio, automated lighting, motorized shades, thermostat control, acoustical design and engineering, wireless speakers and home audio integration. This position works externally with customers in their homes, as well as internally with Bekins’ sales professionals and electronic technicians.
- Responsibilities and primary focus are designing and estimating, including technology and all low-voltage systems.
- Participate in the value engineering process & evaluate and communicate project risk.
- Work with technical staff to determine system layout.
- Accurately develop bill of materials to include appropriate amount of job-related labor to perform the project.
- Work under deadline pressures in an efficient, composed and calm manner.
- Attend job walks; pre-bid meetings; collaborations and conferences with clients and design professionals.
- Coordinate closely with project management and systems designers.
- Preparing Labor Cost Estimates, including estimation of man-hours and expenses to complete projects (Includes installation, testing, commissioning, etc.).
- Maintain in depth knowledge of all electronics systems and be able to design and estimate costs for reliable systems that meet or exceed the customer’s needs.
- Experience in designing low voltage systems including voice/data structured cabling systems, access control, CCTV and other low voltage systems design.
- Must have ability to prepare detailed low voltage estimates, project scopes of work, and all pertinent drawings associated with the project.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook are required.
- Must be able to work independently and possess strong organizational skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at a time working within a team environment or independently is crucial.
- Must have strong organizational and communication skills.
- Must be able to interpret civil, architectural, structural, mechanical plans and specifications as they relate to low voltage projects.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills and technical writing ability.
- Field installation experience preferred but not required.
- Insurance (health, vision, dental, life) for full time Team Members
- 401k match
- Time off for major holidays
- Paid time off
- Short-term disability
Bekins provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.