Full Time/Part Time
Limited/No Travel Required
About the Job
The billing and reimbursement coordinator manages accounts receivable (A/R) and is responsible for accurate and timely billing and follow-up to ensure steady cash flow and minimal days in A/R.
Reports to: Practice Manager
Description of Duties/Responsibilities
Categorize patient experience, customer service, business operations
- Documents complete and accurate patient records relating to calls received, data collected, services rendered, follow-up provided, and/or outcomes
- Maintains provider credentialing through all insurance companies, EMR, and CAQH
- Assists Practice Manager with completion of Credit Balance Report
- Post insurance and patient payments as needed
- Communicate tactfully with patients regarding bills by telephone, mail, and in-person.
- Coordinates care with external/payer case managers
- Appropriate coding using Current Procedural Technology (CPT) and International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) codes
- Accurate billing of Medicaid and insurance companies
- Ensures collection of co-payment by patient for office visits in a timely manner
- Process payer rejections and outstanding claim reports to manage accounts receivable
- Maintains credentialing as required by degree
- Complies with appropriate regulations including HIPAA, CLIA and OSHA
- Serves as an information resource for patients, staff, volunteers, students and providers on how to bill for new services, and other billing matters.
- Consults with providers and other team members as appropriate to ensure quality patient care
- Develops, coordinates, and provides education to providers and other staff regarding documentation, billing and coding
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Minimum Position Qualifications
- Coding experience with CPC, CCS, RHIT, or RHIA certification
- Billing experience in an electronic medical record system
- Proficient in the use of CPT, ICD-10, and HCPCS coding books to select the appropriate code and level of documentation required
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience Requirements
- Must possess the technical and professional skills required in medical billing
- Knowledgeable in Medicaid billing procedures
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Experience in medical office or similar setting
- Effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication
- Good organizational skills and ability to complete projects in an efficient and timely manner
- Must possess thorough knowledge of HIPAA requirements regarding all job functions
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to manage multiple requests and projects simultaneously
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to handle patient and organizational information in a confidential manner
- Ability to demonstrate competency with a standard desktop and Windows-based computer system, including a basic understanding of e-mail, internet and computer navigation.
- Ability to use other software as required to perform the essential functions of the job
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensure, experience, and/or ability required. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, this job description is subject to change at any time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop; kneel, crouch, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust and focus.
In the performance of the job duties, the employee will work primarily in an office environment. The noise level in this environment is usually moderate.