About the Job
The Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) performs a variety of tasks for the assessment and treatment of oral and periodontal disease. The RDH assists the dentist in documenting the historical and current clinical condition and recommending treatment to provide the appropriate level of clinical care as needed. Recognizes the challenges and limitations of providing excellent dental care to an uninsured population, and promote a holistic approach to care as consistent with the mission of Catherine’s Health Center.
Reports to: Dental Director/Practice Manager
Description of Duties/Responsibilities
- Perform prophylaxes, root planning, and apply sealants
- Update patient health history and all required information
- Dental charting of existing restorations and missing teeth and periodontal charting annually
- Placement of sub gingival medicaments as available
- Take patient’s blood pressure, x-rays, impressions (and pouring of) for diagnostic models
- Presentation of initial findings and recommended periodontal treatment
- Confidently answer patient questions regarding any necessary treatment
- Enter treatment performed plans in the chart including Re-Care scheduling
- Disinfect operatory and sterilize instruments
- Assist the Doctor, Dental Assistants and Business Office team as needed
- Give oral hygiene instructions and demonstrations to all patients
- Polish dental restorations
- Assist in the triage and treatment of emergency patients
- Administer local anesthetic
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Position Qualifications
- High School Diploma or GED
- Current Michigan RDH license
- Basic Life Support/CPR training according to requirements of license and/or certification
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience Requirements
- Exceptional customer service and the ability to relate to patients of all ages
- Must be able to work in a team environment and be able to relate to a diverse patient population
- Ability to work with interruptions and manage multiple priorities while meeting deadlines
- Hand scaling and polishing abilities
- Experience with Intra-oral camera, plasma arc curing light, electronic blood pressure cuff, ultrasonic scalers, autoclave, and radiographic equipment
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensure, experience, and/or ability required. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, this job description is subject to change at any time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop; kneel, crouch, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust and focus.
In the performance of the job duties, the employee will work primarily in an office environment. The noise level in this environment is usually moderate.