Under the direct supervision of the supervisor, the incumbent serves as a healthcare interpreter and supports all aspects of the department operations to ensure effective communication between Limited English Proficiency (LEP) patients, their families/companions and providers. Provide accurate oral language interpretations in a variety of clinical settings. Relays medical information between speakers of English and a foreign language/ in accordance with Beaumont Health policies and procedures, National Council on Interpreting in Healthcare (NCIHC) code of Ethics, National Standards of Practice and. Also assists department with on-the-job training and mentoring of interpreter internships. Helps facilitate successful delivery of services to linguistically diverse consumers. Explains hospital resources, office protocols, and limitations to clinicians and patients; makes appropriate referrals; serves as a cultural and linguistic resource to both patients and providers to contribute to successful outcomes. Performs duties in a spirit of teamwork and cooperation. Performs other duties as required to support the department.
1. Performs as applicable to type of interpreting: consecutive and simultaneous healthcare interpretations, sight and document translations between English and target language (Foreign Language).
2. Provides quality interpretation and document translation service that is consistent with departmental and hospital standards/philosophy.
3. Serves as a cultural and linguistic resource to physicians, staff, and patients, to contribute to successful outcomes
4. As applicable to Interpreting specialty: Adheres to National Council on Interpreting in Healthcare (NCIHC) code of Ethics and National Standards of Practice, competency standards, and HIPAA regulations. Demonstrates and maintains strict standards of confidentiality.
5. Trains new employees in areas of healthcare interpretation, HIPAA, interpreter's code of ethics, cultural competence and all assigned department functions.
6. Screens and evaluates new bilingual employees, completes the language Assessment forms and forwards to HR data processing.
7. Completes required training, continuing education credits and maintains annual qualification requirements as applicable to the profession on healthcare interpreting.
8. Assess, evaluate, facilitate requisitions and document in EHR the interactions with deaf patients. With minimal direction and latitude for independent judgment, provides and coordinates interpreter services for deaf patients throughout BH.
9. Carry out simple healthcare document translations and other material from one language to another following established standards and rules pertaining to factors, such as word meanings, sentence structure, grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
10. Facilitate, proof read, edit, and ensure that healthcare documents projects translated by an external vendor conform to Beaumont's Health Clinical Language Service Healthcare documents translation policy and guidelines.
11. Support the office operations by answering the phone, taking requests, calling patients to confirm appointments, document encounters on the interpreter tracking system, data entry, verify and schedule future appointments when necessary, do general troubleshooting, filing and photocopying, correspondence, billing, statistical and narrative reports, and maintenance of computer databases. Work with special projects as assigned.
12. Performs other duties as assigned (such as assisting in the planning and coordination of Clinical Language program events or projects) and committee participation.
13. Develops and maintains professional skills by attending conferences or workshops related to healthcare interpreting and maintain appropriate CEU's as required by department and profession.
14. Trains and supervises external contracted interpreters as necessary for their assignments and coordinates the contracting of these interpreters according to the schedule of assignments needed on an on-demand basis.
15. Ensure all contracted interpreters adhere and follow BH interpreter's protocols for documentation, patient privacy, unit rules and other provisions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
A. Foreign Language Interpreter only
* Education / Training:
o High school diploma. Associate Degree or Bachelor's Degree in healthcare related field preferred.
* Work Experience:
o A minimum of 12 months of experience in providing interpreting/translation services with a strong medical vocabulary background. A consummate/equivalent work experience to education or training is acceptable.
* Certification, Licensure, Registration:
o Proof of healthcare interpreter training - Minimum of 40 hours through an acceptable national training program (certificate required)
o And/or passing of a national certification in Healthcare Interpreting (certificate required). The certification from either one of these agencies is acceptable: Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI) OR the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI).
* Other Qualifications for Healthcare Interpreting:
o Fluency in both spoken and written English and target foreign language is required. Proficiency in use of grammatical and... For full info follow application link.
Beaumont Health is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.