This Opportunity Provides high quality care of young children in a private household located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Anticipated schedule is 8 hours between the hours of 7:00am to 8pm, with a total of 40 hours per week. Some weekends and travel will be required. Full-time position.
Culture of Care
RDV Staffing provides domestic, household and property related positions predominately in West Michigan. We recruit only the most skilled and dedicated people who are service-oriented, collaborative, adaptable, and who possess the highest level of integrity. Our employees experience a meaningful workplace where they can make a valuable and appreciated impact in the household(s) that they serve. Full-time employees of RDV Staffing are eligible for a robust healthcare program, 401(k) plan with a generous 7.5% match, time off, and other meaningful benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Tends to daily basic physical, emotional, and safety needs of children. Must be knowledgeable and experienced and possess a genuine love of children.
- Ensures children are prepared for for appointments and activities; assists in children’s hygiene routines.
- May assist with preparing healthy meals, focusing on nutritional needs of the children.
- Dines with and feeds children; works with the Chef to plan and prepare nutritious snacks.
- Maintains orderliness, cleanliness, and safety of children’s rooms and play areas; organizes personal belongings. Ensures that all games, puzzles, and toys are in proper working order (including replacement of batteries), contain all pieces, and are packaged properly. Encourages children to keep play areas clean and orderly.
- May assist with coordinating play/recreational activities, parties, outings, and special projects; observes and monitors children’s playmates/friends.
- Plans and participates in a variety of activities with children; including creative play, educational learning, arts and crafts, games, outings, etc. Reads to and with children.
- Proactive in handling assigned duties, anticipating needs of the children and family, utilizing time wisely when the children are sleeping, and noticing items that could use more attention in the household.
- Conducts walk-through of residence at the beginning and end of each shift to ensure children’s personal belongings and toys are stored appropriately, confirmation of following day’s work schedule, communication of pertinent information to parents.
- May travel with family in capacity of child care provider; packs/unpacks the children's clothing, personal items, and toys for travel.
- May provide assistance with packing luggage and travel materials and ensuring they are appropriately prepared at all times. May unpack/restock bags in a timely manner following arrival home.
- Provides weekend coverage as needed.
- Provides “on-call” services as required. When on-call, nanny will be expected to arrive to work promptly as needed.
- May provide assistance with round-the-clock child care when requested.
- Enforces good manners and discipline; complies with parents’ child-rearing preferences.
- Provides transportation to children as required by their schedules. Drives vehicle, adheres to motor vehicle rules, regulations, and speed limits at all times, and adheres to route preferences requested by parents.
- Runs child-related or household errands and/or orders items online as needed.
- Performs basic household duties, including but not limited to: load, run, and unload the dishwasher; wipe down surfaces after activities, snacks, and meals; place dirty clothes in hampers; and load, run, and unload the washing and drying machine.
- Performs general household organizational duties; including organizing closets, drawers, bookshelves, etc.
- Performs special projects as requested in order to ensure overall smooth and efficient operation of household.
- Promotes good communication with parents and other nannies concerning daily lives of children; exercises open verbal and written communications with parents.
- Works with and exercises open communication with all household staff.
Elements of Success
- Previous nanny experience preferred; background or coursework in education or child development field preferred.
- Previous experience planning creative play and educational learning activities for children.
- Responsibilities are conducted primarily in the home(s) of the client of RDV Staffing. While an employer/employee relationship exists, it is important that employee is genuinely committed to contributing to a happy home environment.
- May be required to “pitch in” to perform a household task not specifically outlined within this job description. Careful judgment must be exercised in determining if participating in such a task might compromise the care of the children, and in such a case, employee should feel free to decline the request, as the care of children is always the highest priority.
- Must be willing to be flexible in work hours during unexpected schedule changes, extended travel periods, and emergency situations; overnights may be requested.
- Must remain focused on child care at all times, providing not only physical care for the children, but also develop a friendship with them, act as companion, respect their feelings, build trust, and provide a positive role model, always cognizant that young people’s lives are greatly influenced through words and actions.
- Must be committed to contributing to children’s spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional, artistic, and physical development, provide comfort and guidance, warmth and security on an individual basis.
- Must be a responsible, dedicated, and dependable person of highest integrity; neat and tidy in appearance; organized and reliable; cheerful and positive in attitude; exhibit pride in service provided; and demonstrate a genuine love for children.
- The family’s privacy is of critical importance; highest level of confidentiality must be exercised at all times.