Position Title: Family Service Worker
Classification: HS 01 - 04 ($13.27 - $14.19 - $15.19 - $16.24)
Work Hours: 40/week
Work Weeks: 48 - 52________________
Supervisor: 0-5 Family Service Coordinator_____________________
Positions Supervised: None_________
Essential Function of the Job
The Family Service Worker is responsible for the enrollment and case management of families in the 0-5 Head Start program. Actively encourages parents in their role as their children’s first and most important teacher, offering an array of opportunities to build a foundation for lifetime learning. Coordinates services and provides support to families to help identify their own strengths and needs.
Examples of Work
(Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all tasks which may be found in the position of this class.)
- Develop professional relationships with families and structure services to encourage trust and respectful, ongoing two-way communication.
- Enroll eligible children and pregnant women for the 0-5 Head Start program; assuring vacancies are filled within required timeframes.
- Obtain required documents from families and accurately complete enrollment and family partnership paperwork using Child Plus and Adobe software.
- Collaborate with families in the family partnership process, including the family partnership agreement (FPA), to identify needs, interests, strengths, goals, services and resources that support family well-being, safety, health, and economic stability.
- Plan and organize program activities that support and encourage parent-child relationships, child development, and PFCE outcomes.
- Actively monitor individual child attendance, as well as average daily attendance (ADA), and complete follow-ups, as needed.
- Provide parents with information about the importance of their child’s regular attendance, and partner with them, as necessary, to promote consistent attendance.
- Offer opportunities for 0-5 Head Start families to participate in a research based parenting curriculum, including facilitation of the curriculum.
- Case manage the health requirements of enrolled children.
- Offer services, resources, and referrals to help families access local support services, as needed.
- Lead recruitment efforts for the 0-5 Head Start program.
- Communicate regularly with teachers, home visitors, and other support staff, as appropriate, to promote effective case management.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings, as directed.
- When necessary, fill-in as a substitute caregiver for 0-5 Head Start classrooms and busses, as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements of Work
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to relate positively with staff, parents, and community members.
- Knowledge and experience in human services and resource development.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Capacity to organize and maintain accurate records.
- A valid Michigan driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record.
- Absence of exclusionary findings on a Comprehensive Criminal History Check.
Required Minimum Training and Experience
- Associate degree, bachelor’s preferred, in social work, family studies, or human services, OR an associate or bachelor’s degree in a related field with a minimum of three years of professional experience working in a comprehensive human service agency. Must obtain the Family Service Credential within 18 months of hire.
- Knowledge of the Head Start Performance Standards and the PFCE Framework.