SpartanNash is a value-added wholesale grocery distributor â€” supplying more than 2,100 independent grocery retail locations throughout the United States â€” as well as a grocery retailer, with more than 155 corporate supermarkets in nine states. We also serve the military community through our MDV division; in addition to offering premier fresh produce distribution and fresh food processing through Caito Foods and third-party logistics through BRT.
At SpartanNash, relationships matter, and our Corporate team takes that sentiment to heart in the way we work as one totally aligned team, support and respect each other and share the highest standards of excellence. Weâ€™re always looking for the next great idea or a new way to approach a challenge, and we collaborate and innovate to achieve our goals.
A day in the life of the Assistant General Counsel is never the same but, in this role, you will be provide legal advice and recommendations for action to executives and management regarding matters of some complexity which have or may have a material dollar impact on business activities and operations. Incumbents may specialize in one or more areas of practice (i.e., Securities Law, Contracts, Acquisitions, Real Estate).
What Youâ€™ll Do:
- Responsible for providing guidance on complex matters, including acquisitions and securities laws.
- Ensure compliance with SEC reporting requirements (preferred experience in SEC reporting requirements).
- Research legal principles and precedents to develop solutions to legal issues and concerns.
- Direct or consult with outside counsel as necessary. Draft legal documents, multiple sources and methods.
- Provide direction to professional, paraprofessional and support staff in developing solutions to problems presented.
- Identify potential legal risks, issues or compliance opportunities and advise management; work with business partners to develop and implement solutions to mitigate risk.
- Review, negotiate and/or draft agreements within areas of assignment such as vendor agreements, customer agreements, asset purchase agreements, lease agreements, license agreements, non-disclosure agreements, etc.
- Assist with the creation, implementation and enhancement of corporate processes, policies and procedures.
- Maintain current knowledge of laws, legal regulations and rules, industry trends and best legal practices within area(s) of specialization. Provide legal guidance and/or proactively work with business partners to achieve and ensure legal and regulatory compliance.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and levels of work being performed as assigned for this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and requirements; additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Sound Like You? Hereâ€™s what youâ€™ll need:
- Juris Doctor (required); license to practice law (required)
- Eight (8) years Post bar experience, with a combination of experience in both law firms and corporate settings preferred.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to effectively communicate across all levels within the organization and with external personnel.
- Must have strong organizational, prioritization, leadership and project management skills to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to identify issues, gather relevant information, devise solutions and action plans and obtain support from the business; ability to combine knowledge of legal specialty with sound business acumen and knowledge of business goals and objectives as it relates to the matter at hand.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to travel occasionally, as necessary.
Equal Opportunity Employer â€“ minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.