ASSIGNMENT LOCATION: Oakridge Public Schools
STATUS: Daily Assignment – Split Shift
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position e-mail a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Permanent Sub – Oakridge Public Schools” in the subject line of your email.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, August 9th, 2019
METS – Michigan Educational Transportation Services is looking for experienced school bus drivers or other pupil transportation professionals to fill a new position in the Oakridge Public Schools transportation department. The employee hired for this position will report daily for the AM route session and return for the PM route session each day that school is in session (see below):
• Permanent Sub (approximate hours daily during the school calendar)
o AM Shift: 5:30am – 9:30am
o PM Shift: 1:00pm – 5:00pm
The employee will arrive each shift prepared to drive any open bus route (due to the absence of the regularly assigned driver), and assist with additional transportation duties if all routes are covered.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Safe operation of a school bus or other transportation equipment in accordance with all applicable company policies, state and federal laws.
• Manage student behavior on the bus to maintain a safe environment in which students are able to arrive at school ready to learn.
• Conduct all pre-trip inspections as required.
• Navigate all daily routes within the district boundaries as well as successful navigation to trip locations outside of the assigned district.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Support the operation of the transportation department through efforts utilizing face-to-face, radio, telephone, email and other communication methods.
• Successfully interact with parents, students, community members and other staff in a courteous and professional manner to maintain a positive relationship between the transportation office and its constituents.
• Utilize a variety of computer based software programs in the daily operation of the transportation department including, but not limited to: transportation routing software, PowerSchool, Microsoft Excel & Word.
• Assist the transportation office staff with recruiting, training and enrollment efforts for new school bus driving candidates.
• Assist the transportation office staff with payroll, compliance and reporting.
• Type a variety of communication material from inception, rough draft or instruction, such as letters, memos, or bulletins for both internal and external viewing.
• Assist the mechanics and maintenance staff with duties as needed.
• Must be familiar or become familiar with all of the daily bus routes operated for Oakridge Public Schools.
• Maintain confidential information to ensure the privacy of students.
• Work as a team player, with a common team goal.
• Work with a variety of personalities, maintaining a calm and professional manner in all situations.
• Ability to tolerate stressful situations.
• Undergo pre-employment and random drug testing per DOT regulations.
• Ability to pass DOT physical requirements.
• Have and maintain an eligible driving record per all applicable company policies and state/federal laws.
• Must pass State and FBI Criminal Background Check per MDE regulations.
• Must obtain and maintain a valid Michigan Commercial Drivers License with valid P and S endorsements.
• Able to understand and have empathy for children and persons with disability.
• Must be a high school graduate or equivalent (GED).