Rate of Pay: $24.50
BECOME A CENSUS TAKER AND GET PAID TO HELP YOUR COMMUNITY
Learn how you can help collect important data that will determine your state's representation in Congress, as well as how funds are spent in your community on things like roads, schools, and hospitals.
What can I expect my work schedule to be like?
If hired, your work schedule will depend on your position. Generally, hours for field positions are flexible. Some field positions require you to work during the day. Other positions require evening and weekend work interviewing the public.
Supervisory positions require employees to be available for certain day, evening, and/or weekend shifts.
Where will I work?
The Census Bureau is committed to hiring census takers to work in their own communities.
How often will I be paid?
Employees are paid weekly and can expect to receive their first pay check approximately ten to fourteen days after their first day of work.
Will I be reimbursed for work-related expenses?
Field employees will be reimbursed for authorized work expenses, like mileage, incurred while conducting Census work.
Will I be paid during training?
You will be paid during training at a slightly lower rate than your regular hourly rate.
To be eligible for a 2020 Census job, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Be a U.S. Citizen.
- Have a valid email address.
- Complete an application and answer assessment questions. (Some assessment questions are available in Spanish. However, an English proficiency test may also be required.)
- Be registered with the Selective Service System or have a qualifying exemption, if you are a male born after Dec. 31, 1959.
- Pass a Census-performed criminal background check and a review of criminal records, including fingerprinting.
- Commit to completing training.
- Be available to work flexible hours, which can include days, evenings, and/or weekends.
Most jobs require employees to:
- Have access to a vehicle and a valid driver's license, unless public transportation is readily available.
- Have access to a computer with Internet and an email account (to complete training).