Plant HR Manager ( wood products manufacturing )—Grayling, MI
Arauco is a worldwide company that manufactures composite wood panels. Arauco manufactures several different product lines of particleboard and MDF products. Arauco has locations across the USA, Canada, South America, and Europe. Our products are sold to commercial companies and retailers across the world. This is a permanent role at our Greenfield Grayling location. We look forward to considering you as part of our family at Arauco!
The Human Resources Manager leads the People Systems and objectives that will foster an employee culture to maximize high levels of employee involvement, and that generates high performance results with an emphasis on employee empowerment, quality, productivity, the recruitment, retention, and ongoing development of a world class workforce. The Human Resources Manager owns the development, implementation, and reporting on HR metrics that support the achievement of the organization’s business goals. The Mill HR Manager reports to the Site General Manager and works closely with Corporate HR resources to coordinate the implementation of people-related services, policies, and programs.
- Lead functional areas of HR such as compensation, employee relations, employment law, issue resolution, training and development, performance management, succession planning and change management.
- Interpretation and communication of HR policies and guidelines to managers and employees.
- Assist in the annual wage and salary review process.
- Provide advice, and direction on ADA, FMLA, Worker’s Compensation, employee- related legal matters, affirmative action and recruitment and selection of employees.
- Partner with the plant leadership team and provide coaching and direction in policy administration and personnel issues.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Administer benefit enrollments and claims processing and serve as site point of contact on all benefits related issues.
- Coordinate and administer mill work system and craft enhancement program.
- Responsible for coordinating recruitment and hiring process. This includes opening recruitment, placing ads, screening applications, arranging interviews, contacting applicants, maintaining all relevant documentation and correspondence, attend recruitment events and job fairs and properly archiving job files.
- Manage employee files and medical files in accordance with state and federal laws.
- Act in a confidential capacity handling external and internal inquiries from the public, employees, & departments.
- Manage drug testing program.
- Maintain electronic records of employee evaluations.
- Coordinate open enrollment process each year for benefits.
- Responsible for managing employee information in company HRIS and payroll system.
- Schedule and ensure compliance of annual training.
- Work with NA Manufacturing HR Manager to ensure any policy/procedural changes are discussed prior to implementation and to communicate policy changes to the organization at large.
- Care and control of Medical Plan, Pension Plan and other benefit plans for the site (retain records); Key contact for our health care and pension providers for the site.
- Awareness and support of safety initiatives.
- Administer pre-employment tests, record, and track results.
- Manage onboarding of new hires including benefit enrollment, employment authorization, and new employee education. Track probationary periods.
- Manage the site service award program.
- Maintain discipline and attendance records
- Assists Finance/ Safety Managers as requested
- Regularly participates in management meetings.
- Maintains relationships and supports local community groups and events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Coordinate meetings, retirement celebrations, and other events as required.
- Helps coordinate and complete annual performance feedback for all site staff.
- Will develop People empowerment systems
- In support of the Site Management team, Develops and implements systems that grow people through mentoring and training
- Ability to embrace and promote a team-based, high-performance, and engaging work force.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BA/BS preferred (Bachelors in HR is preferred)
- 5 -10+ years of progressive experience
- Must be organized and possess good time management skills
- Need this HR Manager to be flexible w/ change throughout day in & day out of manufacturing environment—plant floor has priorities
- We would like someone who can work independently, but we also need someone who collaborates and aligns with the team
- Looking for someone that is capable of high output
- Experience in team based systems, or experience with employee empowered teams is preferred ( employee empowerment / self-directed workforce )
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Customer service focus.
- Work in a fast paced, ever changing environment
- Strong multi-tasking skills.
- Must be proficient at MS Word and Excel
Plus (Not Required):
- PHR or SHRM – CP Certification is a plus
Notes: hr manager, human resources manager, hr supervisor, human resources, hr director, director of hr, director of human resources, assistant hr manager, manager of human resources, manufacturing, wood, osb, panelboard, panel board, plywood, fiberboard, fiber board, composite, composites, paper, pulp, strandboard, strand board, compensation, mdf, flooring, tfl, lamination, resin, resins, presses, conveyor, conveyors, hydraulic, hydraulics, plant, plants, payroll, systems, employment, law, laws, hiring, applicant, applicants, onboard, onboarding, training, benefit, benefits, program, programs, management changes, change management, change manager, excel, sap, empowerment, phr