The Machine Builder works with the machine build team and production personnel to build fixtures and machines and to perform the upkeep and maintenance of all machines in an exemplary manner according to the company quality policies.
Qualified candidates will possess the following Minimum Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- Robotics maintenance, mechanical, machine equipment, and welding certification or a minimum of 5 years of experience in such areas
- Experience working with equipment electronics and/or understanding of equipment of electronics
- Experience working with sensors and wiring sensors
- Experience with pneumatic and hydraulic plumbing and circuitry
- Working knowledge of fixture functioning and/or experience with fixture functioning
- Ability to pass written and practical tests to obtain company hi-lo/forklift and crane license
- Proven mechanical inclination and general math and manufacturing knowledge through standardized tests
- Computer literacy (SolidWorks and/or AutoCAD experience preferred)
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- An excellent work record, including attendance
(Minimum requirements are updated annually to meet the demands of various positions; employees hired prior to the latest revision update may not meet all current requirements).
- Operate mills, grinders, drill presses, and lathes to produce and modify components to print.
- Assemble and debug fixtures and machines.
- Wire and adjust sensors, routing and protecting sensor cables as necessary.
- Plumb pneumatic and hydraulic circuits in machines and fixtures.
- Properly read and interpret detailed prints to make tooling components.
- Perform welding (Gas, MIG, Arc) and plasma cutting, including Oxy/fuel for fabrication, build and repair.
- Assist other machine build department in the assembly of special machines, fixtures and other related build or fabrication projects.
- Provide guidance and training for apprentices and helpers.
- Troubleshoot, analyze and correct fixture and special machine problems.
- Work with all production personnel to troubleshoot and improve throughput.
Continuous Improvement/Lean Principles:
- Participate in, and support lean initiatives such as continuous improvement events and problem solving events, identifying and eliminating all types of waste
- Suggest and implement ideas to increase personal and departmental efficiency. Communicate potential cost savings to other Machine Builders, Team Leaders, and Manager.
- Participate in 8D and 5-Why problem solving teams.
- Ensure that fabrication and build projects and repairs are done to quality standards.
- Assist in updating drawings, blueprints, and schematics according to code requirements, service manuals and manufacturers’ specifications.
- Continue to keep up with the latest changes in mechanical, robotics maintenance, machine equipment and welding through continued education (college courses, manufacturers’ seminars, vendor’s courses, and reading.)
- Follow all safety procedures, including MIOSHA regulatory requirements regarding machinery and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), controls, safety devices, lock-out/tag-out, use of coolants, and die block procedures.
- Operate department forklift/Hi-lo, boom lifts, scissors lifts, and overhead cranes.
- Identify potential safety issues and take appropriate action. Ensure environment is free of avoidable risks, and report concerns immediately, taking appropriate action to immediately rectify and resolve.
- Organize and maintain personal work area and maintenance area per 5S standards. Notify Manager if repair or replacement of machinery or equipment as needed.
- Effectively communicate with co-workers and management personnel to enhance teamwork and communication initiatives.
- Provide necessary, accurate, and timely feedback of all pertinent information to co-workers and management.
- Consistently exhibit appropriate attendance habits, working the hours necessary to perform the job.
- Consistently adhere to, and support, company policies and procedures, including ISO, IATF 16949, and safety regulations.
- Accept instructions and duties in a positive manner.
- Treat all co-workers with dignity and respect.
- Exhibit all the attributes of a positive role model (including professionalism, personal integrity, and positive attitude) for employees and managers to emulate.
- Assist in maintaining company values (Integrity, People, Customers, Safety, We Can If…Do What It Takes, and Ownership) daily, through thoughts and actions.