MPHI works with you to advance population health through innovation and collaboration. Our direct experience, at both local and national levels, informs our services including analysis, capacity building, education, evaluation, facilitation, implementation, outreach, project management, research, and solutions development.
Title: Grant Writer – SDoH
$27.88 - $33.65 / Posted Thru: 2-14-23
Limited Term Thru: 3-31-24
Location: Remote/Virtual - Must Live In Michigan
Purpose:The Grant Writer - SDoH will support priority policy projects, particularly related to social determinants of health (SDoH), and public health connections to building sustainable and equitable infrastructural resources and assets that enhance environmental and public health protections. The incumbent will be responsible for supporting staff in the securing and management of foundation and government grants. Responsibilities include identification and writing of grant proposals that support and reflect MDHHS SDoH priorities, researching and disseminating grant opportunities to SDoH Team and MDHHS program areas as needed, and developing relationships with local foundations and granters to ensure that we are abreast of funding opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Work independently to research, identify, and maintain database of external opportunities that present viable funding potential, and that match district goals and priorities.
* Plan and coordinate development and submission of proposals.
* Write letters of inquiry and cover letters for grants.
* Write and review grant proposals. Work closely with SDOH Team to develop and align programs for grant funding.
* Facilitate grant workshops for grantees when MDHHS SDOH Team administers grants.
* Independently monitors and reports regularly to Policy and Planning Director the status of assigned grants.
* Develop budgets and budget narratives for proposals.
* At the request of a supervisor, performs a variety of unscheduled duties normally and traditionally performed by a Grants Specialist.
* Always represent the best interests of MDHHS and MPHI.
* Other duties as assigned.
Education: A bachelor’ s degree in a related field required.
Experience: Four years’ experience in grant writing and development required.
* Grant proposal formats, preparation, submission, and administration.
* Federal, state, and private granting agency regulations.
* Search tools for identifying new grant opportunities.
* Research and computer use skills.
* Budgetary and fiscal processes.
* Demonstrate advanced writing and editing skills.
* Show attention to detail.
* Plan and organize a variety of work with varying deadlines.
* Learn, interpret, and apply laws, rules, policies, and procedures.
* Work under pressure to meet deadlines.
* Coordinate multiple projects.
* Operate personal computer systems, software, and automated systems.
* Demonstrate effective decision-making skills.
* Work in a multi-cultural environment.
* Work independently with little direction and identify creative solutions to problems.
* Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
* Read, interpret, apply, and explain rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
* Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements: This position has potential for fully remote or hybrid work (subject to Office of the State Employer determinations on State of Michigan Work from Home Policy and MDHHS epidemic orders). If in-person work is required, this position will be based in Lansing, and may require limited in-state travel. Requires a valid vehicle operator’s license and access to a vehicle to attend off-site meetings, conferences, and trainings.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS: No assigned responsibility.
IMPACT ON PROJECTS, SERVICES AND OPERATIONS: This position has a direct impact on the quality of services provided by MPHI to MDHHS.
MDHHS Policy and Planning Division Director
MDHHS Program Staff
Collaboration and Direction
Direction and Support
“For purposes of employment standards, this classification is “Non-Exempt” from overtime provisions of the fair Labor Standards Act.”