Networks Northwest is seeking a new team member for the Offender Success program. This rewarding position will work directly with formerly incarcerated individuals struggling with housing instability and at-risk for homelessness. As our Offender Success Housing Navigator you will interface with the State of Michigan Department of Corrections staff and other community partners to provide housing navigation and support services to assist Offender Success participants.
This position will work in our ten county area: Antrim, Benzie, Charlevoix, Emmet, Grand Traverse, Leelanau, Kalkaska, Manistee, Missaukee, Wexford counties.
Responsibilities, Essential Duties & Functions
- Assist participants with identifying potential housing opportunities and with completing housing applications, supportive and subsidized housing paperwork.
- Serve as the point person and facilitate all necessary paperwork and communication for the MDOC and Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) project.
- Administer the Justice SPDAT vulnerability assessment tool for all housing navigation referrals and connect participants with the Northwest Coalition to End Homelessness coordinated entry system.
- Create a strengths-based housing plan in partnership with the participant that will assist them in creating goals and setting up a network of resources that will help in identifying, securing and maintaining permanent housing.
- Actively participate with the local continuum of care work group Interagency Services Teams to identify appropriate permanent housing options and Case Management supports.
- Interface with local housing and homeless service providers to determine potential, appropriate housing supports and/or services for Offender Success participants.
- Assist participants in securing all necessary identification and required program documentation in a timely matter (ID, Social Security cards, birth certificates, etc.).
- Identify new and maintain appropriate relationships with landlords in order to foster the tenant/landlord relationship. Advocate for participants with prospective and established landlords.
- Assist in facilitating participant access to additional services requested by MDOC for Offender Success participants, such as transportation assistance, basic needs, and others.
- Attend and participate in the Offender Success Transition Team meetings throughout the 10 county region.
- Interface with Michigan Department of Corrections staff regarding Offender Success referrals and services.
- Report and document all related activities as required by Networks Northwest, the Community Coordinator/Program Manager, and/or MDOC.
- Participate in appropriate training.
Essential Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Requires
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent experience preferred in a human service, criminal justice, or related field from an accredited institution.
- Experience with case management services, housing, and homeless populations.
- Comfortable working with diverse individuals and groups in a human service setting.
- Maintain high levels of confidentiality regarding the program and participant information.
- Experience in managing multiple priorities.
- Good interpersonal skills. Able to interact positively with co-workers, participants, community partners, and stakeholders in a non-judgmental, tactful and courteous manner.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Accurate record keeping.
- Good judgment in social situations.
- Demonstrated ability to follow detailed instructions and use supervision.
- Reliable computer skills including, at a minimum, familiarity with Microsoft Office products including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and insurable to drive agency vehicles.
Full-Time (40 hours per week)
Starting Salary: $40,000 a year
Benefits: This professional position is entitled to Networks Northwest's full fringe benefit package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, retirement contribution, vacation time, and sick time. Position is afforded use of an agency vehicle, laptop computer and smart-phone for job-related use.