This is an immediate vacancy and all qualified Applicants are encouraged to apply
Michigan Families need your help*......*
JOB SUMMARY: The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family.
- Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general.
- Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures.
- Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations.
- Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case.
- Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours.
- This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster. See complete position description here: Position Description
View the Job Specification
View the 13 minute video "Is This Job For Me?" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtBuckURPk&feature=youtu.be prior to applying for this position. Required Education and Experience
Education Possession of a bachelor's or master's degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, guidance/school counseling, counseling psychology, criminal justice or human services.
Services Specialist 9
No specific type or amount is required.
Services Specialist 10
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
Services Specialist P11
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
Additional Requirements and Information
When you apply, your application is valid for 6 months. After 6 months, you MUST reapply for continued consideration.
This position is located in Cheboygan, MI at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, 827 South Huron Street, Cheboygan, MI 49721-2209.
Why Cheboygan County?
- Cheboygan County is located at the northern tip of Michigan's Lower Peninsula and borders Lake Huron.
- Based on recent US Census estimates, the county's population is 25,427 (2015) and median household income is $ 39,486 (2010-2015.)
Cheboygan County is home Michigan's 4th and 5th largest inland lakes, Burt Lake and Mullett Lake. Both lakes are also part of the Inland Waterway.
The best known natural feature of the area is the Inland Waterway is water route of approximately 40 miles that starts in Lake Huron and links a series of lakes ending in Emmet County. The waterway can be navigated by boat.
The Inland Waterway and Lake Huron shore are popular for canoeing and kayaking. Both areas are also popular with motorized boating. The Waterways are the course for the Top O'Michigan Marathon Nationals Boat Races in August.
Snowmobiling at Black Mountain Forest Recreation Area and North Central State Trail. The City of Cheboygan hosts an antique snowmobile race in early January.
- Local historical sites and points of interest include The Mackinaw Bridge, The Cheboygan Opera House, Icebreaker Mackinaw Maritime Museum, Historic Mill Discovery Park, Front Range Light, Cheboygan Crib Light, The Cross in the Woods and Cheboygan County History Center.
6 golf courses
Local food and drink producers/growers include Golden River Orchard, Tromble Bay Farms, Harvest Thyme Farm & Vineyards, Jarman's Pure Maple Syrup, Mother Mary's Canning Co., Nicholas Black River Vineyards & Winery, and Cheboygan Brewing Company, LLC.
Local events include Waterways Festival, Downtown Music Festival, Waterways Ice Festival, Cheboygan County Fair, Indian River Summerfest, Rhythm on the River, Indian River Winterfest, The World Championship Wanigan Race and Wolverine Lumberjack Festival.
The Pigeon River Country State Forest is an optimal location for viewing elk.
Popular winter sports in the area include cross country skiing, ice fishing, skating and hockey.
Cheboygan is home to the Ralph G. Cantile Arena which offers opportunities for ice hockey, figure skating, and public skating.
Please visit the following links for more information http://www.cheboygan.com/ and http://www.cheboygancounty.net/
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS CAREFULLY, T*o be considered for this position you must:*
- Apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on "Apply" in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
- _Attach no more than a 1 page written response to the following questions after viewing the video "Is this job for me?":_
- _If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be? _
- _How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge? _
- Attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment. Dates of employment should include month and year and hours per week.
- Attach a cover letter.
- Attach a copy of an official transcript(s).* We accept scanned copies of official* transcripts.Please see the example below. We do not accept copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the institution, confirmation that a degree was awarded and on what date, and the registrar's signature. Select this link to see an example of an official transcript.
- As a Condition of Employment -this position requires a valid driver's license and successful completion of a background investigation including fingerprinting and a criminal records check.
- Applications will be screened on information provided on the application itself. Please include your resume and cover letter for additional consideration, but it will not be accepted as a substitution for a completed application.
- During the online application process any additional documentation that is required must be attached from your master profile to the individual application.
- Upon hire, the successful candidate will be required to complete a nine week pre-service training program that in