This is an immediate vacancy and all qualified Applicants are encouraged to apply
Michigan Families need your help*......*
JOB SUMMARY: The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family.
- Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general.
- Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures.
- Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations.
- Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case.
- Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours.
- This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster.
See complete position description here: Position Description
View the Job Specification
View the 13 minute video "Is This Job For Me?" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtBuckURPk&feature=youtu.be prior to applying for this position. Required Education and Experience
Education Possession of a bachelor's or master's degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, guidance/school counseling, counseling psychology, criminal justice or human services.
Services Specialist 9
No specific type or amount is required.
Services Specialist 10
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
Services Specialist P11
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
Additional Requirements and Information
When you apply, your application is valid for 6 months. After 6 months, you MUST reapply for continued consideration.
This position is located in Gaylord, MI, MI at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, 931 South Otsego Avenue, Gaylord, MI 49735.
Why Otsego County?
- The county's population is 24,253 (2015) with a median income of $47,693, according to estimates by the US Census Bureau.
- Otsego County is located in the northern region of Michigan's Lower Peninsula.
- Otsego County has three public schools within the county and two parochial schools. The largest of these schools is Gaylord Community Schools. Gaylord Community schools was ranked among the best schools in the nation by the U.S. News and World Report, earning a silver medal for 2016.
- Local events include the Snowmobile Festival, Free Golf Weekend, Alpenfest, Alpenfrost, Art in the Garden Festival and Free Ski Weekend.
- Indoor attractions include the Community Arts Center, Call of the Wild Museum, and three libraries located in Gaylord, Johannesburg, and Vanderbilt.
- Local parks include Ostego Lake County Park, Irontone Springs, Wah Wah Soo, Libke Fields, Wellington Farm Park, Otsego County Community Center, and Louis M. Groen Nature Preserve
- The Otsego County Sportsplex in Gaylord has an ice rink, indoor pool, playground, walking tracks and offers year round fitness programs.
- Locally crafted food and drink products can be found at The Cook Family Farm, Big Buck Brewery & Steakhouse, Home Comfort Farms and Snowbelt Brewing Company.
- Home to 15 golf courses, including Treetops Resort which also offers year round recreation with downhill skiing, tubing, a terrain park, ice skating, quarter pipe and hosts events throughout the year
- Otsego County is located near the central point of a network of 500 miles of snowmobile trails in the northern Lower Peninsula.
- North Central State Trail starts in Gaylord and goes to Mackinaw City. The 62 mile multi-use trail can be used for snowmobiling, hiking and biking.
- Home to the Sturgeon River, Pigeon River and Black River all of which are known for good fishing. The Sturgeon River is also popular for canoeing, kayaking and tubing.
- Cross Country ski trails include Aspen Park Trails, Fore bush Corner, Michaywe, Pigeon River Country State Forest and Pine Baron Pathway.
- Please visit www.otsegocountymi.gov for more information.
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS CAREFULLY, To be considered for this position you must:
- Apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on "Apply" in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
- *Attach no more than a 1 page written response to the following questions after viewing the video "Is this job for me?":*
- *If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be? *
- *How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge? *
- Attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment. Dates of employment should include month and year and hours per week.
- Attach a cover letter.
- Attach a copy of an official transcript(s).* We accept scanned copies of official* transcripts.Please see the example below. We do not accept copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the institution, confirmation that a degree was awarded and on what date, and the registrar's signature. Select this link to see an example of an official transcript.
- As a Condition of Employment -this position requires a valid driver's license and successful completion of a background investigation including fingerprinting and a criminal records check.
- Applications will be screened on information provided on the application itself. Please include your resume and cover letter for additional consideration, but it will not be accepted as a substitution for a completed application.
- During the online application process any additional documentation that is required must be attached from your master profile to the individual application.
- Upon hire, the successful candidate will be required to complete a nine week pre-service training program that includes a total of 270 hours of competency-based classroom and field training. Additionally, the employee must successfully complete a minimum number of hours of in-service training on an annual