Otsego County is looking for a Bus Driver.
Under the supervision of the Transportation Manager is responsible for providing safe, efficient, customer-friendly transportation to the public in the county. Performs ancillary tasks related to record keeping, fueling, vehicle cleaning and safety.
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the duties, which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Drives vehicle to transport passengers to various destinations. Provides customer assistance to a variety of passenger ranging from school age to the elderly. Passengers may have special needs or require additional assistance.
- Runs routes as written or verbally dispatched.
- Complies with all applicable safety requirements, laws, and regulations.
- Performs a Michigan Department of Transportation pre-inspection and required post- inspection of vehicle, records any deficiencies and reports all maintenance needs to proper personnel.
- Performs daily maintenance of bus (fueling, adding fluids, etc.).
- Maintains a log of trips and number of passengers. Verifies monies, proper fares, fuel, and mileage.
- Fuels and cleans vehicle throughout the day or at end of shift or day.
- Records and reports any incidents, injuries, or vehicle damage to proper personnel before end of shift.
- Notifies bus system management of any safety or maintenance concerns.
- Communicates positively with bus patrons.
- Supports Bus Aide with appropriate, positive guidance with children.
- Attends training and staff meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as directed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
Requirements include the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent and one year of experience as a bus driver in public transportation.
- The county, at its discretion, may consider an alternative combination of formal education and work experience.
- Michigan Commercial Driver’s License – Class C with passenger endorsement.
- Pass a Michigan Department of Transportation physical and drug screen prior to employment.
- Obtain a Michigan Department of Transportation Medical Examiner’s certification within ten days of employment and CPR training within six months of employment. Certifications must be maintained throughout employment.
- This position is classified as “Safety Sensitive”.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of safe driving techniques and providing customer service.
- Considerable knowledge of county roads, reading maps, providing customer service while transporting passengers, working with a variety of people including providing service to passengers with special needs and assistance, performing basic arithmetic, preparing receipts and daily log reports, and driving safely in all weather conditions.
- Skill in effectively communicating ideas and concepts orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with county employees, contractors to the county, representatives of other governmental units, professional contacts, elected officials, bus patrons and the public.
- Ability to learn new technology applicable to the position.
- Skill in the use of specialized vehicle transportation equipment such as chair lifts and securing passengers prior to transport.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in the field. While in the field, the employee is regularly required to communicate in person and radio. The employee must be mobile with the ability to stand, sit, stoop and kneel, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must lift or push/pull objects of up to 25 lbs. without assistance and assist special needs passengers. Accommodation will be made, as needed, for employees required to lift or move objects that exceed this weight.
While performing the duties of this job the employee works in outdoor weather conditions while driving and is exposed to fumes or airborne particles, noxious odors, vibrations from driving a bus and traffic. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can be loud.
For purposes of the Fair Labor Standards Act, this is a “non-exempt” position.
For collective bargaining purposes, this position is included in the Teamsters Bus unit.
This position is eligible for some County fringe benefits. Weekend work may be required.
Hours: 25 hours per week
2019 Pay Rate: $ 13.16